IX

Moon.

Moon woke the next morning to a loud hiss in her ear.

'Get up hatchling. You'll be late," Tornado said. "I need to go hunting. Go to the hatchling caves, where you spent your first night."

Moon blinked her eyes open, it was early. She could see a single star out of the skylight, and sighed. She struggled to her feet and padded into the eating room.

After having breakfast, she left the cave. As she soared down, she spotted dragons going about their daily jobs. Adults flew out into the lava falls, heading off to hunt. Young dragons were gathering in groups, listing to adults, or fighting together.

Moon flew into the hatchling cave, and looked around. The nests had all been moved out, and the large cave was empty except for the hatchlings and Bloodfang.

"Ah, my daughter finally decides to show up," the black dragon growled. "Just because you are related to me doesn't mean you get special treatment."

'Unless its abuse," Moon thought bitterly. 'Its obvious my father doesn't like me."

"Moon, since you are late, you can go first. Fight me," he growled.

Moon stiffened, she knew that if she had to fight her father, training or not, she would end up with wounds.

"Wait, Bloodfang, she isn't worthy of fighting you," Sparkles said. "Let me fight her, that way both of us have practice."

'Well, I'm doomed. Goodbye Zappy, and Darkfire,' Moon thought.

"Hmm, seems fair. No killing or maiming. Everything else is aloud. Winner gets to rule the pack," Bloodfang said.

Moon took a deep breath as they began to circle. She knew there was no way she could win; she didn't even want to win. If she beat Sparkles and ruled the pack, he would never let her survive.

Not that he would anyway.

Sparkles leapt, lunging at her.

"Lets finish what we started," he growled.

Moon didn't waste time talking; she dodged out of Sparkles way. The black hatchling skidded to a stop and spun around, the bone at the end of his tail whistling in the air. Moon ducked, but it hit her on the head. She snarled, and shook her head. A drop of blood flew off her face, and she growled.

She leapt forward, her claws out. She was caught up in the battle, not realising what she was doing. She was no longer thinking about just surviving, she wanted to win.

Sparkles ducked under her claws, and sliced at her belly. Moon leapt back, feeling his claws scraping her scales.

She leapt into the air, spreading her wings. Hovering for a second, she dropped, landing square on Sparkles' back. He roared, struggling to stand but Moon pinned him down, her claws digging into his scales.

Blood welled up under her claws, and dug her claws in deeper, not hearing Sparkles' roar of pain.

"ENOUGH!!!" Bloodfang roared. Moon blinked, and shook her head.

Sparkles was lying under her, large wounds on his back. He was panting, and beaten.

"Moon, I said no killing," Bloodfang growled.

Moon felt shaky, had she nearly killed Sparkles?

"I-I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me," she whispered.

"Bloodlust," Bloodfang muttered. "Right, class, find a partner. I expect you to fight like you mean it, but no killing. If I find any dead hatchling when I return, I will not be pleased. We need all we can get in the war.