XXVIII

Zappy

By Ranger_of_the_North

Zappy's fear gave way to steadily burning anger as battles broke out around him. His blood surged; he wanted to fight! But more than that: he wanted to stop the war.

Peace would never come through fighting—but what really angered him was that every death—every life lost—was pointless. Pointless!

Why are we killing each other over this? Everyone's unique! Zappy growled furiously, searching for someone—anyone!—to try and convince them to see reason—although if he was completely honest with himself, he was so furious that he wouldn't easily be able to say no to a fight.

An ominous snarl interrupted the dragon's thoughts and he snaked his neck back, head low to the ground to see who dared challenge him.

Fang stood a few metres away, openly daring the Sharpshooter to attack.

"Hello, Zappy," he smirked. "Guess your mama started the war up again, huh?" His teeth bared in a nasty smile. "Thank her for me—if you survive to do it." The young black dragon lowered himself into a crouch, wings raised threateningly. Malice glittered in his golden eyes as he lashed his cludet back and forth, ready to kill.

Zappy narrowed his eyes. His main enemy had grown a lot since their last meeting; he had evidently learned the power of intimidation and patience. Still keeping his eyes fastened on Sparkle, Zappy turned his body to face the other dragon, raising his frill and hissing his hatred.

Fang smirked. "Is that all? A hiss? Wow, I'm terrified."

The bronze dragon paused, reviewing his changed enemy with surprise. A slight feeling of trepidation irked him; he decided to tread with even more caution than usual.

Two can play at the intimidation game, he decided, and let his own snarl crease his snout, lips writhing to release an inkling of the fury and unhappiness he was feeling.

Wariness finally flickered in Sparkle's golden eyes.

Zappy couldn't help feeling a measure of respect for the other drake as, despite his fear, he took a step forward, strong muscles bunching and rippling beneath his pitch scales; talons flexing and digging deep into the dry dirt.

The bronze dragon swung his bladed tail lazily: a warning.

Suddenly, in the same moment, their patience snapped; older dragons might have circled each other for a time, testing their adversary's strength and abilities until one backed down or a fight was inevitable—but the two drakes were young.

Zappy bunched his hind-legs and sprang, a roar tearing from his throat to be whipped away on the wind from his wings as he beat them, launching himself at the other dragon like a bronze hurricane.

He landed full on the other dragon's face, reaching as far as he could to sink his razor talons deep in the base of Fang's neck, grasping black scales and pulling with all his might to uproot them.

Sparkle screamed a furious, agonised roar and leapt upward, beating his huge wings in a desperate attempt to gain height.

Leathery wings smashed into Zappy's head and he scrabbled to keep his footing, stretching to keep his claws lodged in Fang's body.

Suddenly the bronze drake realised his mistake. Fang let out a triumphant cry as he gained a metre in height, putting Zappy underneath him, then dropped like a stone.

Zappy screeched in pain as his wing twisted under the other dragon's weight. He fell heavily onto his side, right foreleg crushed to the ground at an unnatural angle, and screamed his agony to the sky.