XXVII

Moon

Moon flew blindly, barely noticing the trees slapping past her. Tears blurred her vision, and dripped down her face. She flew, not looking back, not caring where she went. She just had to get as far away as she could. She couldn't go back, couldn't see what she had done to her best friend, couldn't see the fear in his eyes, couldn't see the distrust.

So she flew, blindly at first, just wanting to leave, just wanted to run from the dispar and horror she felt, the shock of coming out of Bloodlust with Zappy under her claws.

Finally she stopped. The sun was beginning to set, and with a jolt she realized that she had been flying most of the day. The trees had gone, she had left them long ago, and now she was flying over a low, hilly area.

She landed on the largest hill, trying to get her bearing. As she did, the sky clouded over, and it began to snow.

The softly falling snow transfixed her. She had never seen snow before. Reaching out a claw, she watched as a flake landed on it, and melted on the dried blood that was on her claws.

She shuddered, and wiped her claws on the ground that was quickly being covered with snow. She scrubbed hard until all traces of the blood was gone.

Then she lay down, curling in a ball. The snow began to cover her, and she just wanted to stay there, lying on the ground. Closing her eye, she slept.

Zappy stands in front of her, a wound in his throat, his body covered with scars.

"Zappy," she whispers, as she walks forward. He steps back, fear in his eyes.

"You did this to me," he says. "You did this Moon. You did this."

"I know!" Moon cries. "But I didn't mean to, you know I didn't! Please Zappy." She feels tears in her eyes. Stepping forward, she holds her claw out.

But Zappy steps back, and she sees the fear in his eyes.

"Go away," he whispers. "Go away," he says, louder this time. "GO AWAY!" he shouts. "You'll only hurt me more."

Moon steps back, saddened and lost. But something in her makes her leap. She attacks Zappy, and pins him down again.

"NO! I will never go, I will never go until you die!" she scowls.

Moon woke, shuddering. She was covered in snow, the fall having covered her. She lay there, panting, tears dripping from her eyes.

'What have I done?' she thought. 'I nearly killed Zappy, I might have killed Zappy.'

She struggled to her feet, shaking off the snow. Taking a deep breath, she looked ahead. The land was covered in white; it looked like a white blanket had been dropped over everything. Behind her, the trees were sprinkles with snow.

It was like a different world, and Moon made a decision, standing in the snow. 

"I can't go back," she said. "I can't be near others, otherwise I'll hurt them. I'll find somewhere that no other dragon can come. I'll live alone."

Taking a deep breath, she jumped into the sky. As she passed the last tree, a few miles after the forest, she stopped.

It was a large tree, and impossible to miss. So she landed on a large branch about half way.

Then, using her claw, she scratched out a message, in case Zappy would follow her.

Goodbye Zappy. Don't follow me anymore. I cannot be near you. Thanks for being my friend. Moon.

Then, taking a breath, she lifted off again, flying towards the sea.

"GoodbyeZappy," she whispered. "