XVI

Zappy/Slash

by creepakilla

"What?" Slash blinked uncomprehendingly as he sat before his parents. "What's Bloodlust?"

Flare and Vertigo had decided that telling Slash about their suspicion was the correct course of action: they didn't want their son to be killed by a crazed dragon if he ever met Moon again. They needed him to be wary and on his guard.

"Bloodlust is an insatiable desire for blood," Flare told him quietly. "If the dragon sees or smells too much, they lose control and kill mercilessly."

"And... you think Moon has Bloodlust? Why would you say that!" Slash shivered; saddened, frightened, and angry that they could think such a thing.

"Because you're not like other Sharpshooters," Vertigo explained. "Sharpshooters are more active when they've been raised with a Stormrider—and vice versa—and you're more active than even us other misfits who don't fit in; you figured out the hiding and defence skills I told you about incredibly fast. The only rational explanation is that your Nest-mate—Moon—has Bloodlust. Nest-Mates' behaviour rubs off on each-other."

Slash leapt to his sclaws. "What do you mean to say? That Moon wants to kill me? She would never do that! That doesn't make sense! She wouldn't!"

Flare shook her head. "No. But the Stormrider leaders are very manipulative and dangerous. Moon is just what they need to wipe us and the Sharpshooters out of Vernada. They will use her, and she may be forced to kill you if they know about you."

Slash's scales paled visibly. "She wouldn't," he whispered; but inside he wasn't so sure anymore.

If she couldn't control her rage, and the Stormriders tortured her, would she? Would she keep him safe? Would she keep herself safe? Or would she snap and kill him?

He decided he would do whatever he could to keep his sister safe, no matter what. If she had to kill him in order to lose her Bloodlust: so be it.

He sat and squared his shoulders firmly, tucking his wings in better. "What can we do to save her?"

Vertigo started, and Flare looked surprised.

"Well..." Vertigo began reluctantly, "our greatest weapon is you: only you have a chance at stopping her. But if her love for you isn't enough to halt her, there's a high chance that you will die."

Slash nodded. "I know. But I have to save her."

# # # # # # # # # # # # #

Zappy bounded joyfully out into the open air and surveyed the village below—he and his parents had decided that they should stick with teaching him the normal way for now, so Flare was taking him and Birch deeper into the forest for another lesson—only a few dragons were out and about, most were on missions or training their young.

Target lead them well, and although Slash didn't completely trust her; knowing the clouts she could give; they were now on a more friendly footing.

Quick wingbeats made him turn in time to see an eagle land on the branch of a nearby tree.

Strange, he thought, is that bird following me?

The eagle cocked its head. "You are Zappy, yes?" he said, and Slash jumped.

"Uh, sorta," he replied, surprised. "How did you know? And how can you speak?"

The bird shook his head, tutting. "Zo many questions. I am Claw. I know Moon—"