Trilogy finale, "Different DNA, Same Heart", prologue

Italics = Narrator/me/future telling person who's not actually there

"Honey, are you awake?" Michelle whispered to her wife, Emily, who turned around to face her. "Yeah, I can't sleep." She whispered back. "Me neither." Both girls smiled. When they couldn't sleep, they always did the same thing - looked through the family photo album. It helped calm them. Michelle pulled it out from her night table drawer while Emily turned on her bedside lamp. Opening it, the girls smiled at pictures of their wedding. That had been an amazing night. Then, there were pictures of baby Nolan. That was 16 years ago. There were a few more of those pictures, and then came the pictures of baby Felicity. That was 13 years ago. Soon after came pictures of baby Jem. That was 11 years ago. She had had been adopted last. All of them had been adopted when they were still under one years old. Both mothers loved all three of their kids, with all of their heart.

Nolan: He wasn't crazy popular, but he certainly wasn't unpopular either. He didn't like video games, but he loved things like music and movies. He was a pretty average sixteen year old.

Except he wasn't.

Felicity: The only child who dances at The Next Step. She's a beautiful ballerina. She has a small-ish group of really good friends, and likes it that way. There's never any drama in their small, close friend group.

Except there's about to be.

Jem: A sensitive and stubborn girl. She's very quiet and wise for her age. She just has this understanding of the world some adults still don't grasp, and nobody sees it. Sometimes even the two mothers feel as though they don't fully understand it. She's never branched out and done something that required such an understanding. Such bravery and maturity. It's in her, it's just been...hiding.

Peek-a-boo. It's been found.

Smiling at the last picture, which was Nolan's sixteenth birthday, the two girls closed the book and Michelle put it back in her drawer. Turning off the lamp, Emily lay down next to Michelle. "Good night," she whispered. "Good night." Michelle whispered back. Then they let the thoughts of their beautiful family carry them to sleep.

However, about a 20 minute drive away, two other mothers weren't so lucky. They were still awake.

Riley sighed, turning to face her wife. Amanda did the same thing. "I can't sleep." Riley pouted. "You think I'm doing any better?" Amanda smiled, motioning at her open eyes. "Tea?" Riley asked. "Tea." Amanda agreed, as both mothers quietly went down to the kitchen, and Riley put on a kettle. She sat down next to Amanda at the kitchen table, almost knocking down a vase in the process. "Careful, we can't wake Sophie." Amanda whispered, referring to the 11 year old girl upstairs. They had adopted her 11 years ago, when she was still a baby. They adopted her at the same time Michelle and Emily adopted Jem, whom they had fallen in love with as soon as they saw her. Especially her sparkly eyes. They had named her Jem solely because of those eyes. Amanda and Riley found their beautiful baby girl a little while after. She looked so innocent and smiley. They even decided to name her Sophie, after the girl who had been the same way. Except these two were going to make sure that their Sophie stayed that way.