Chapter 47

Ever since Amanda had moved in, she noticed that AJ liked to walk around the house shirtless every morning after Aaron went to school. One day she decided to give him a taste of his own medicine. She walked into the kitchen wearing boy shorts and a sports bra. He stared at her as she reached into the refrigerator to get some milk. By the time Nick came down for breakfast, she had already gotten dressed.

"AJ, there is a baby and a 12 year old in the house, put a shirt on." Nick admonished. AJ looked sourly at Amanda and walked to his room, grumbling to himself as Amanda smirked. She and Nick sat down for breakfast and she couldn't help but think about how Nick still dressed like he did when he was 15 and hiding his mother's abuse. Nick tended to wear jeans and t shirts most of the time....mostly baggy and loose fitting clothes. He never wore tank tops or shorts even if it was hot outside.

"Nick....mind if I ask you something?" Amanda said, drinking coffee from her mug.

"Sure. What's up?"

"How come you don't show off like AJ? You have a great body....you're in shape. Why are you covered up?" Amanda asked thoughtfully. Nick took a bite out of his bagel and stared at her, thinking. He wanted to tell her everything, that he still felt ashamed by how he looked....that every day he felt ugly....that his mother's voice had not left him. He was embarrassed and didn't want Amanda to think he was weak because of his reasoning.

"There are kids in the house...I don't want Aaron or Celine to get the wrong idea." Nick answered, not meeting her gaze. This was a good reason, but Amanda knew there was more than Nick was telling. She was concerned....the night before she had heard Nick crying in the bathroom. He wasn't telling her the truth and it bothered her, Nick was usually very open with his feelings and hadn't hidden them since high school. She and Nick went about their day, Amanda watching him for any signs that he was upset. Nick went through his normal routine and did not stray from it in the slightest.

"Nick, are you all right?" Amanda asked, after she noticed how quiet he was. Something was on his mind...he seemed distant.

"Why wouldn't I be?" he asked, putting on a smile for her. She could tell he was lying, his eyes said he was depressed.

"What's bothering you? Is it because I asked why you don't show off? You look great....you should-" Amanda began.

"I'm sorry, but I don't like to walk around the house half naked." Nick snapped.

"Nick..." Amanda called after him as he headed for the back door.

"I need to be alone for a while." Nick said, his eyes watering. Amanda watched him go, feeling confused. Why was he acting so strange? He had never hid anything from her....always talked when he was bothered. Aaron came home after a while and noticed Amanda looked distressed.

"What's wrong?" the boy asked, his brown eyes following her through the living room.

"I'm worried about your brother." she answered softly as she put the baby in her playpen.

"Is he okay?"

"He is acting like he is 15 again, something is bothering him and he won't talk to me." Amanda explained. She and Aaron went to the kitchen, and Aaron sat at the table.

"How?" he asked innocently.

"I asked him why he doesn't show off like AJ...and he got upset and wouldn't talk about why he was bothered by my question."

"Amanda, I think I know what this is, let me talk to my brother." Aaron said. Amanda watched him go out the back door and down the beach and smiled. If anyone could get Nick to talk, it would be his brother. Aaron wandered down the beach for a while and found Nick sitting on a rock, staring out at the water.