Chapter Seventeen

Eren's POV

My heart beats fast like the adrenaline is still pumping through me, and I sit up from my resting position so fast that I feel the sweat on my forehead cool down.
"Eren, you're awake," Mikasa says suddenly, and I turn to her quickly as I didn't know she was here.
"Where the hell are we? Wait- are we in a cell, what's going-"
"Calm down, this is not the time." She says, too casually. "How can you stay calm in a situation like this? We're locked up!" Standing up, I slam my hands onto the bars, and I already feel a swelling beginning to form.
"Eren, they put you out before you could even attempt to destroy the wall. I, a bit too irrationally, used violence on those who were attacking you, and so we were both imprisoned."
Mikasa folds her arms nervously and mutters, "I'm sorry."
I walk over to her and press my hands to her shoulders. "Next time, don't put yourself in danger to protect me. I'd rather I get hurt than you, and I especially don't want to put you in a dangerous situation like that again!" Her eyes are wide as I speak to her, and then she looks down, unknowing of what to say back.

I look all around us and begin to panic inside. "What's going to happen to us?"
I squeeze my hands together to try and stop them from shaking.
"I don't want us to die here... Not within these goddamn Walls."

Mikasa wraps her arms around me. "Just stay calm. We will just have to see what happens when the time comes."
I hold onto her with one arm, and then two.

I break away from her when I hear loud clattering from outside the cell. I turn quickly to the bars, and move closer to get a better look.
A man, an MP soldier to be exact, walks in, with a gun by his side. I gulp quietly, and stare at his every move.
"Eren Jaeger and Mikasa Ackerman, yes?" He asks, staring down at the paper in his left hand.
"Yes, that's us," I say, a lump forming in my throat.
"Fortunately for you, you've been bailed out by..." He looks at his paper again. "Hanji Zoë and Levi Ackerman."
I let out a massive sigh and grab hold of Mikasa's hand reassuringly. I'll have to thank the two of them as soon as we get out of here.
"However, you're not off the hook so easily. You do realise what you've done, right?" He starts.
Suddenly, the relief starts to turn to acid in my throat.
"You caused, yet again, Jaeger, a disturbance amongst the citizens within the Walls. I understand that you and Miss Ackerman have places to go to, but that violent response was purely unacceptable." He places the end of his rifle on the floor.
"The court martial will have to deal with you. Both of you. But, for now, you're free to go."

He's starts opening the cell, and as soon as it's opened, I pull Mikasa out and leave without another word.
I don't know exactly where I'm going, but I can find my way.
"Excuse me," the man follows behind us. "Let me guide you out."

* * *

"You've not changed a bit, Eren. I thought you would've grown a brain whilst you were away." Levi scolds me.
"What did you expect me to do? They locked us in, and I'm not going to let that pass so lightly." I try and convince him, but his expression is unchanging.
"Well, consider yourself lucky, we got you out, and I'll see what I can do about your charges." He says.
"Thank you so much, Levi. I really appreciate that."
"Don't thank me yet. You know what the interior folk are like."

I look over to Mikasa who is sitting on the bench staring down to her hands. I sit beside her and out my arm around her shoulder, then bringing her closer to me.
"I'm so sorry..." I whisper to her, pressing my forehead on hers. "I promise, we'll get out of here." I say, "tonight."
"Eren, no!" I hear Levi yell and I turn to him swiftly. "Why, not? I can't stay another day in here!" I hear my voice beginning to raise, but I don't stop myself like I should do.
"The gates are shut and you can't get out! You can't just waltz out of here because you want to. You'll be staying in here until they do open it, and that is if they do."
I bite my lower lip and clench my fist. I shouldn't say anything more. 'Just leave, Eren,' I tell myself.
"Mikasa, let's go," I say, already beginning to walk off, knowing that she'll catch up to me.