Chapter Four

Mikasa's POV

I finally decide to pull the plug. When I actually look at the water intently, I realise how cloudy the water is. I must've been in here for a good few hours.
I look at my fingers, and the tips are shrivelled, and the same can be said for my toes.

I step out of the bath and dry myself with a towel.
I wrap the towel around me and step out of the bathroom.
I see Armin, sitting on the couch. His appearance shocks me, and I rush back quickly, unknowing of his presence. I didn't know that he was back already.
I run quickly to the bedroom.
"Sorry, Armin. I didn't know you were here." I say, peaking my head through the door.
"Oh, it's okay." He replies, nervously.
I shut the door, dry and dress myself.

Afterwards, I walk back into the main room. "Where's Eren?" And with that his cheeks go slightly rosy.
"Well-uhm..." I sigh, tilting my head to side slightly.
"What? Why can't you tell me?" I ask.
"I can, I can, I swear!" He says waving his hands in front of him, shyly.
Why is he so nervous about telling me? I don't understand.
"If you don't tell me, I'll just go look for him." I say, picking up my jacket from the hook.
"Mikasa, you won't be able to find him! He's far away." Armin says, quickly. He's right, where would I even know where to look.
I put the jacket back down.
"Please, tell me where he is." I say, sternly.
Armin sighs but looks up to me, his lips parted. "He's doing a part-time job."
"If he really is, why didn't you just say that in the first place?" I ask.
"I just didn't want you to worry about him at all. I know how you can be sometimes." Armin tells me.
"When will he be back?"
"Soon, I'm sure." He says. I inhale, and exhale expressively as I sit down.
Armin's not a liar, but I wonder why he was so nervous about it.
"Armin, what's his part-time job?" I ask, turning to him.
"Smithing. He's making stuff."
"Why did he suddenly decide to smith?"
"I don't know, Mikasa! He doesn't tell me everything."
I'm very curious to why Armin looks so uncomfortable. Is he hiding something?
"He'll be back soon! So, don't worry about him. He just wants to make some money, I believe." I nod, agreeingly, and then I remember.
"Armin, I made buttered bread for you." I say, handing him the wrapped food.
"Isn't it cold and stale, though?" He asks. "It wouldn't be as stale if you didn't take so long." I tell him. "Heat it in the oven." I get up from my seat, and slip my shoes on. I want some fresh air.
"Good thinking. Thanks, Mikasa."
I grab my jacket and exit the dorm.
I walk down the corridors and the stairs, and step outside.
A fresh breeze embraces me, and the sun is setting.
I haven't seen Eren all day, and even though I saw him yesterday, I miss him.
We are usually together all the time, so I guess it's expected of me.
I lean against the wall, and stare into the orange sky.
I hope that he returns soon.

Eren's POV

Why is my hand shaking? This is unbelievably frustrating.
"Eren, steady your hand."
"I'm trying, okay?!" I yell back.
I stick the diamond in place. It fits perfectly. "Yes!" I exclaim, putting down the tweezer-like things.
"I made the ring!" I'm so proud of myself; Mikasa will love it.
"When will you propose?" Mr Bozado asks.
"Today!"
"Today?"
"Yes. I can't keep her waiting any longer. I've been away from her all day, it must be today." I say, grabbing my coat and tying the laces to my shoes.
"Thank you so much, Mr Bozado, for teaching me how to make this." I say, very happily.
He smiles softly. "It's no problem. I hope we meet again."
"We will, sir!" I say, about to rush out.
"Wait, Eren!" He calls me. I stop. "The box."
"Oh, I almost forgot. Thanks."
I take the box from his hands. "I'll see you soon, sir." I say, smiling.
"Yes, lad. Now, go! You wouldn't want to keep her waiting."
He says with a low smile.
I nod, fit the ring in the box, and rush out the shop, holding the box tightly in my hands.
I won't stop running until I get home.
But, that decision is suddenly broken. I almost forgot, again.
I need to take a few more stops.