Chapter Thirty-Three

Mikasa's POV

His apartment is large: a virtual fireplace that emits real heat, sofas, television and walled with a massive book collection is in the main room alone.
There are three other doors I can see, one I assume is a kitchen, bedroom and likely a bathroom.

I walk in slowly, making note of my surroundings, memorising details; I need to know this place inside out. Anything I can use to my advantage.
But, surely, he will know them also, even if I do get to know them all incredibly well.

I take a seat on one of the sofas and lean my back against it—Eren sits on the one opposing.

He merely eyes me, with a look that only said mischief. I only did the same back to him.

"I'm sorry for misbehaving before, Eren. I should have listened to you," I say with the most innocent voice I could muster.
A small smile grows on his face in return.

"You really hurt me, but considering you seem so genuine in your apology, maybe we can work something out."

"Like what?"

He eyes me up and down as his mouth grows wider.

"I see you still have the ring."

I look down to my hand and there it is—I'd forgotten about it.

"Like the one I gave you in our previous life. You cried after I gave it to you. Then you kissed me and told me that you were mine, always... What happened?"

"You very well know what happened, Eren. I lost my memory, but that doesn't mean I don't want to try again. If I loved you once I can love you again... I know that now."

He blinked slowly as he stood from his seat and made his way over to me, taking the one beside me as his arm went over my shoulders.

"We should try that date again, should we?" I ask Eren, resting a palm on his right cheek.
He took my hand and pressed my fingers to his lips and whispered, "of course."

Acting like this around him feels so wrong in several ways, but I keep telling myself it's for the greater good. I cannot blow this.

I make my gaze on his lips evident as I lean in to press mine against his, and he kisses back intently. I wanted it to be brief, but considering he is still insistent, pulling away isn't the right move, so I persist.
The heat begins to rise and the make-out is only coming on harder as he leans into me. I press a hand to his chest and push him away, making us meet eye to eye, heavy breathing all that can be heard.

"You did this before, Mikasa," he said sternly. "You are fine with our kissing and then once it gets to a certain point you pull away."

I look away momentarily, feeling blood move to my cheeks. "It's just that-"

"I don't want to hear-"

"No, I just assume that you want to... You know, escalate? I've never... Well, I wouldn't know if we had done it together before," I stuttered. "Did we?"

Eren sighed as he leaned back into the sofa, eye contact still strong. He's pondering on how to respond—maybe he's thinking of bluffing. He looks down to his fingers and then back to me.
"We did," he says, cocking his chin up. "When I proposed, actually, which is why I probably came on too heavy for you, and I'm sorry about that. I can't expect everything to be the same."

He took too long to think about that response. I must take everything with a grain of salt with him now; he can't be trusted and I can only assume he wants to manipulate me. And I must pretend to fall for it. For it all. If I can earn his trust, make him think that I am loyal, he will not expect it when I make my move; I can't do it yet, too soon, but not long from now. I hope, I hope.
I need more information.