Part One: Chapter Twelve- Something New

Pan watched as Juliette worked with Slightly and Branden with a bow and arrow. They were two of the newest Lost Boys. They were quite nervous, and Pan didn't think they could handle working with swords; he was also curious to see how Juliette handled herself without a sword or dagger. He had to admit--he wasn't disappointed. She had dead aim and seemed to be a good teacher. Slightly and Branden were learning quickly and were also doing very well. Juliette wiped her brow of the sweat beading there. After another twenty minutes--so Pan thought--he called the practise to an end. He instructed half the boys to go hunting and the other half to stay back and watch the camp. Pan watched as Max, who was leading the hunting party, motion Juliette over.

"No," Pan said, "She's coming with me."

"Okay," Max nodded and took out the hunting party.

"Pan," Juliette nodded, "What are we doing?"

"Something new," he grinned.

"Okay," she smiled back slightly.

Pan started walking out of the camp knowing Juliette would follow. He smirked and just decided to flash them to where he was thinking. They both arrived at the base of a mountain--Dead Man's Peak. He looked up and smiled. Pan really wanted to make this special. Juliette looked up as well.

"It's a short hike after the rock climbing. I know you'll have no issue with it," Pan said to her.

"Of course not," she smiled and starting climbing up.

Pan watched as she expertly started to scale the wall. She easily found hand and footholds and pulled herself up. He admired her form as she climbed up, what for any Lost Boy, would be tricky. He smirked as Juli pulled herself up to be halfway up the wall. She looked over her shoulder at him and cocked her eyebrow at him.

"Are you coming?" She laughed.

"Oh. Yeah," Pan nodded slightly embarrassed.

He grabbed on to the rock wall and started climbing up to where she was. As they continued to climb up, he noticed how quiet she seemed to be. He looked down at her once he passed her, knowing every hand hold there was.

"You know most boys take your silence as off-putting, but I love a challenge," Pan said.

"Concentrating."

"No, you're afraid. Afraid to talk-- to reveal yourself. To trust me. This will be a lot smoother if you do."

"You're used to people not trusting you," she fires back.

"Yes. The 'bloody demon' thing," he rolled his eyes, "Well, I don't need you to share. You're something of an open book."

"Am I?"

"Quite. Let's see. You came with me because you're good at following orders around here now, though you still have a pirate's spirit. I can tell that because of your raising that you're a strong, independent lass, but family matters a lot to you. Because of what happened with your father, you want a family to do one better. You don't want to abandon a future child the way you were abandoned," he said. Pan decided that it would be best to leave out the fact that she was Hook's daughter as she hadn't been forthcoming with that information.

"What was that?" Juliette looked at him as they stopped climbing.

"Like I said: an open book."

"How would you know that?"

"Look around, lass. This is Neverland. I roam around with the Lost Boys. They all share the same look in their eyes--the look you get when you're left alone."

"I'm still new here," Pan could see her trying to deny that she was just as lost as any other boy on the island.

"An orphan's an orphan. Love has been all too rare in your life. Especially since your father left and changed. Have you ever felt love from someone other than your family?"