Chapter 12: After Game Conversations

|Raelyn|

"Rae, c'mon, we're taking your car." Aaliyah said and grabbed my car keys and tossed them to me.

"I'm coming." I said while putting my hair into a bun. Tonight was the night of the game that Zayden asked me to come to.

Aaliyah goes to all the games to support Hakeem, so I asked her to come with me, instead of us going separately and meeting up at the game.

I looked in the mirror one last time and walked out the door and to my car. We both got in my car, but Aaliyah stopped me before I could start it. "Wait."

"What?" I asked.

"Let's take a pic for the gram." She said and went to the camera on her phone.

I smiled to the camera and waited her her to take the picture. Once she took the picture, I stated the car. "Rae, what should the caption be?"

"I don't know. Make it whatever you want." I turned up the radio.

"Going to the game with bae to support our baes." She said the caption out loud as she typed it.

"Our baes?" I questioned.

"Rae, stop acting like you and Zayden haven't been doing the nasty on the low. And I know that after they win tonight, y'all are going back to his dorm room to fuck."

I looked over at Aaliyah, then back at the road. "Is this something that you and Hakeem thought up, because he thinks that same thing?"

"Yeah, but that's besides the point. It's obvious, Rae. Nobody needs to be tutored every damn day." She said.

I just shook my head at her as we pulled into the parking lot.

~~~

"Rae, can you calm down? You sound like my dad when he's watching football." Aaliyah groaned.

I know I was a little embarrassing, but that wasn't my fault. Basketball has been my life since I was in the womb. "Liyah, you just don't understand."

Aaliyah sighed. "I'm going to the concession, you want something?" She stood.

"Get me some fries and a Pepsi."

Aaliyah walked away and I continued to watch the basketball game.

Once Aaliyah came back, I grabbed my fries and Pepsi without looking. The clock was winding down and we were losing by two points. "Shoot the ball." I mumbled. If Hakeem shot the ball and made it, we would go into overtime, and that would give us a chance to win.

The ball left Hakeem's hand and it seemed as if everything was moving in slow motion. The ball flew into the net and the crowd erupted in cheer.

Overtime!

During overtime, it was like the other team just stopped trying and we won.

Once everyone cleared from the arena, Aaliyah and I walked towards the locker room, where she planned on meeting Hakeem. I was just going to be third wheeling.

Aaliyah ran from my side and into Hakeem's arm. I walked over to Zayden and congratulated him on the good game.

"Lovebirds, let's go get something to eat." Hakeem called to Zayden and I.

"No, I-" I started, then I decided that I needed to forget about school work for a while. "Yeah, let's go."

All of us got in Hakeem's car and decided on going to Chick-Fil-A.