Chapter 31: Plans within Plans

Saruman sauntered to the balcony, considering Sauron's words after he had finished with the man. They had been few and his demands were clear. There was little room for Saruman to work his own will within Sauron's and not reveal his own plans. But he had danced this ballad with the Ring-maker for some time, and he was confident he would not falter.

He knew how to suppress himself while meeting through the palantír, and Sauron would not know his mind regarding Gondor, because he knew the Dark Lord's weaknesses. He saw little else when his greatest desires were before him. The wizard knew he would crave possession of the descendant of the man who stole the Ring from him. Forgotten would be plans of armies and Rohan and Gondor. Thus, Saruman had made it clear whom he held within his tower, under his control. He was sure Sauron would need to see him for himself.

He had seen him. And indeed he wanted him.

Saruman was to bring Aragorn to Sauron, to deliver him to a regiment even now making its way across the plains of Rohan. Saruman had agreed, despite his own plans for the man. Expecting his orders to be followed without question, even Sauron would not predict all that Saruman would do. And Saruman had ways of turning events to his advantage. Even a contingent of Sauron's army could play into his plans. Orcs were not known for their loyalty.

With the King of Rohan and the heir of Isildur at his command, even the Steward of Gondor would pause before rejecting Saruman's conditions. Through this man, Saruman would command an army so vast it could stand up against the armies of Mordor. But first, he would strip this pathetic man of his arrogance. He was nearly there. With every visit to the palantír, the man's mind weakened, his confusion grew, and he became more malleable. He already considered Saruman's plans. He would begin to see the wisdom of acting for his people regardless of the means, and then the Dúnadan would be his.