Chapter 16: Victory or Defeat?

Gimli gave up his attempt at feigning ignorance and turned fully to the woods, pulling on his beard in his anxiety. With little to see in the darkness, he judged Legolas's progress by sound alone. Despite the man's apparent nonchalance, Gimli knew Aragorn listened acutely to the proceedings as well.

They had hoped no more than a dozen orcs would follow Legolas into the woods, but instead, scores had lifted war cries in pursuit. Gimli's stomach had twisted when the shrieks had increased a moment ago. If they recaptured Legolas, retribution would be harsh at best. There would be no second chances.

He glanced at Aragorn. The man had also given up his pretense. Worry lined his face as he gazed with wide eyes into the forest, seemingly shocked at the notion that Legolas might not succeed. Gimli's hope diminished further as Aragorn's faded.

"They'll catch him, you watch. You thought to follow him didn't ya? Don't get any ideas. Uglúk'll make sure you all learn a lesson, you watch..."

Gimli ignored the guard's berating that had gone on since the orcs had taken up the chase and eyed the darkness where he heard crashing through the woods. Did the orcs return in defeat or victory? Were their cries for the quarry that had escaped or for a prisoner regained?

As they broke through the eaves of Fangorn, Gimli's stomach flipped, and for once he was grateful for its emptiness or he might have lost its contents. The lead orc held an apparently unconscious Legolas over his shoulders like captured prey, and the beast grinned like a victorious hunter.

As the orc dumped the bloody body of Legolas on the ground before Uglúk, Gimli's hope dissipated into dust. The coming days would be dark indeed.