Chapter 54: Intruding

Gandalf stepped into the Golden Hall of Meduseld, where all was dark but a sconce at the far end, guttering in some movement of air.

Saruman stood before the throne, silhouetted by the torch. Turning to Gandalf, his eyes fell on his staff, and the wayward wizard's eyes faltered for the smallest of moments.

Saruman's attention had been to the side of the hall, in the deep shadows, where hovered a shadow of substance. The cloaked Servant of Sauron now turned to Gandalf, and after a moment of silence, released the cold hiss of a cornered animal. "You are an intruder here."

Gandalf waited. In time, the Nazgûl took a step to the side, then another. Gandalf turned in time with the creature to avoid turning his back to either the Nazgûl or Saruman, whom he trusted nearly equally. The wraith continued to walk the length of the Hall and only paused when he was beside Gandalf.

"Gandalf the Grey," Saruman said evenly, stepping off the dais and slowly advancing. Gandalf reluctantly drew his attention from the wraith. For a brief moment, Saruman looked warily at the Nazgûl. Then he turned to Gandalf and was sure of himself once more. "It seems your followers have underestimated you. You do not appear quite as dead as they believed. What brings you to Rohan?"

The Nazgûl began to move again. Though the wizard's eyes were on Saruman, all other senses were trained on the wraith as it passed behind him. As it rounded his opposite side, Gandalf turned so that he again had the Nazgûl in his peripheral view.

"I might ask you the same question, Saruman. Considering our last conversation and news that has reached me of late regarding of Isengard, that you have come to Rohan is of great interest to me. That you appear to have dealings with one of the Nine is of even greater interest."

"Of interest to you? What interest have you with Rohan? You seem to show a great deal of concern for these people. Ever you come, only to leave once more, claiming business elsewhere. Perhaps you have greater designs for all of Middle-earth, of which Rohan is only a part?"

The Ringwraith continued stalking his circle round Gandalf, making his way towards the throne once more.

"Is that perhaps your aim, Saruman? You have been overcome with greed, which has brought you to do business with a Nazgûl. It is but a step from dealings with Sauron himself." Gandalf paused when he saw the knowing look in the corrupt wizard's eye. "I see."

"It is quite easy for you to stride proudly into Edoras," Saruman said with a stomp of his staff, "question our plans, and decide who is just and who is unjust. But you stand alone. I stand before the throne of Rohan with the support of the king and his people. And—I have the support of the heir to the throne of Gondor."

The wraith's head snapped suddenly to Saruman. Had Saruman inadvertently revealed plans in contradiction with those he had shared with the wraith? That would mean betrayal.

Judging by the wariness in Saruman's eye, Gandalf guessed the appearance of this wraith had been unexpected as well. Had Sauron sensed his potential betrayal? Sauron would not take duplicity kindly.

Now Gandalf understood Saruman better. He never meant to follow through with whatever schemes he had made with the Enemy. How did he make an agreement with a Nazgûl—or Sauron—and expect not to see it through? Saruman was walking a fine line, indeed.

Gandalf looked for the truth among the wizard's lies. Gandalf needed no instincts to know Aragorn would never support such designs, but what did Saruman gain by claiming the man's loyalty? A better question might be: whom was he trying to deceive? "You stand before the throne of Rohan and treat with one of the Nine Servants of Sauron. You do so with the support of the king?"