Chapter 58: Reunions and Returns

Gandalf's discerning eyes raked over Aragorn from across the Golden Hall and the wizard's smile hardened a bit. "Well met, Aragorn. I am certain yours is a worthy tale, and I long to hear it."

"I fear not, Gandalf. It is more a tale of blunders and decisions poorly made."

"There are surely many tales that need telling," Théoden broke in. "However, I seem to remember that orcs from Mordor march to Rohan as we stand here. Let us discuss battle strategy. The time for tales will come soon enough."

"Of course, lord," Gandalf replied.

"But more important," Théoden continued from his throne, "you have labored long and hard all this night, Gandalf, and Lord Aragorn has not taken rest as well. Now the sun forewarns of a new day. I suggest we close the night and begin the day with a meal. Thus fortified, we can speak long on all things of war."

"Sound reasoning, Lord Théoden," Gandalf said. "My friend here appears in need of more than one meal." Aragorn regretted that his appearance told so much of the tale of his hard journey.

As Théoden directed a guard to call for a meal to be prepared, Hama entered the Hall. He stopped short as he saw the king. "My lord, I—you are here—I thought to—" He straightened. "I wish an audience as soon as you are able. There are two new prisoners I wish to bring to your attention."

"Prisoners? I heard nothing of new prisoners," Lord Théoden said with a scowl. "Today, I am able as I ever have been. Bring them now."

"Eh, yes, my lord," Hama said hesitantly. His eyes narrowed and he took a few steps more to the king.

The king smiled. "Yes, Hama, I am your king once more."

A hesitant smile broke out on his face. "I shall return shortly, my lord."

Théoden sighed and looked at Gandalf. "I suppose you ought to tell your tales now. The meal shall have to wait. And likewise must talk of battle wait. It is early—the sun has not yet risen."

Aragorn looked to a window behind him. The sky was beginning to brighten with the approach of dawn. With that light came Mordor.

"The sun shall begin stealing what time we have soon enough," Gandalf said. "Once you have seen to the prisoners, we may have our meal and our discussion. We ought to address how to meet Sauron's orcs and decide whether we wait for them to meet us here in Edoras or go out to greet them in the fields of Anórien. Without Saruman's army of uruk-hai, strategy will be critical. We must also consider the role Saruman was crafting for Gondor. They may be in more need of aid than we." Théoden nodded his agreement.

Instead of two, three came through the door to the Golden Hall behind the doorwarden. Pippin followed closely behind his cousin and Gimli. The three surveyed the scene in an instant, and the hobbits promptly forgot they stood before a king.

"Gandalf? Gandalf!" said Merry, then Pippin. "It is Gandalf!" Merry ran the length of the Hall to him and hugged him fiercely. Aragorn marveled at how easily the hobbits accepted the return of the wizard.

Gimli was not far behind the hobbits. "I never thought to see you again, my good wizard." Gandalf let out a boisterous laugh as the three members of the Company surrounded him.

"How? When? How?" Pippin said in a rush. "Actually, I don't truly care for the answers. Only that you're here—you are really here?"

Gandalf nodded. "Yes, Pippin, I am. It warms my heart to see you all. Remember, Gimli, we never know who or what we are going to see around the next bend. Are you the prisoners of whom Hama spoke?"

"They are. Now come. We must approach the king," Hama said to the two.

"My lord," the doorwarden said upon reaching the throne, "these two arrived last night, they say with news for Rohan. It was Grima who judged they should be imprisoned. I thought rather that you might wish to hear their tale and decide for yourself their fate."