Chapter 44: We Fight for Rohan

King Théoden faced his sister-son Éomer and those warriors who stood behind him. "We have lived long in the shadow of the mountains, always in fear that the greater Shadow would rise to threaten us. That day is come.

"I have been informed by Saruman, long a friend and wise advisor to Rohan," he said slowly, gesturing to the wizard who had arrived late the previous night and now stood by the king's side, "that our Enemy prepares to march across his mountains into the land of Men. It is the time to take up arms against him. You have long cried out for blood, and blood you shall have."

Éomer stepped forward. "Now we fight? After we have lost Théodred? We may have lost Erkenbrand as well. Why is now the time for battle, my lord, but the moment was not right while they yet lived?"

Théoden hesitated, and Saruman stepped into the silence. "The threat to Rohan was yet uncertain. To retaliate without cause would invite needless retribution and greater losses. Now looms sufficient peril to tip the balance."

He took a step to the side and revealed his companions. "Other... circumstances have aided in the tilting of those scales." He motioned to the man, ignoring entirely the child beside him. "This one is of the Dúnedain of the North. He goes by the name Aragorn, son of Arathorn," Saruman said, according emphasis to the name.

The wizard waited as Éomer looked upon the man with narrowed eyes. "Yes," Saruman continued, "the heir of Isildur, whom you doubtless know from legend." Éomer's body was stiff with tension. "He is well-versed in battle and has agreed to fight for me. With him, you can lead your men across Rohan, face the approaching army, and make way to Gondor. For Gondor will be in greater need of your arms. It is there that Sauron will make his battle. Even the Steward Denethor will not deny his need for you."

The man named Aragorn faced the scrutiny of Éomer impassively. After some silence, the young warrior said, "We wish to fight for Rohan, and Rohan alone."

Aragorn spoke quietly. "Sauron will come, whether you agree or no. Will you wait till Sauron's army is at your doorstep, and then attempt a defense with your meager army? Or will you begin the fight now, when you can meet the Enemy on the fields of Rohan, far from Edoras?"

"What does it matter where our meager army meets them?"

Aragorn did not offer an answer at once, and Saruman again filled the silence. "I command a vast army of my own ...creation. Their fealty is to me alone. They will fight against Sauron because I command them to do so. You will not fight with only your meager army."

"This army—they are the beasts that have been spoiling the fields of Rohan for months, are they not? You ask us now to fight beside them?"

"These uruk-hai are my army, and they obey me. They will fight against Sauron." He paused for only a moment. "And in a day's time, your scouts will report sighting them on the outskirts of Edoras. They await my command."

Éomer's eyes widened, and he looked from wizard to man and finally to his king. "My lord, what you wish, will be done." The scowl never left his face, even as he bowed to Théoden.

Éowyn struggled to silence the gasp that jumped from her throat, and she shut the door to the hall as quietly as possible. She had seen enough to understand, as did her brother, the impossible position in which Rohan now sat. A deceitful wizard she trusted less than Grima on one side and a horde of orcs on the other.

The wizard's excuses for Rohan's previous inaction were weak and transparent. That he brought with him a man who claimed the name of a legend counted little to Éowyn. He supported Saruman, and therefore she took no word from him as truth. She briefly wondered on the purpose for the child; perhaps he was a servant to Saruman. Something strange about his appearance nagged at her, but she returned her thoughts to the king's court.

She would not blame her brother for acquiescing to the king's wishes. None would want such a decision resting upon them. With Saruman here at Edoras, clearly all choices would be made in his favor.

The men had decided the fate of all. They were to go to war. It was for what they had long pleaded, but never had they dreamt their war cries would ring out before Saruman. Éowyn could not know what tomorrow would bring, but she could only hope Saruman's deceptions would be revealed.