Chapter 15: To Be Hasty

Treebeard watched with resignation as the orcs beat the other creature. His hatred of orcs could grow no greater. They were becoming frequent visitors to the forest, and always did they bring destruction.

As they dragged away the one who looked a bit different from the other orcs, Treebeard pondered what had awoken him. A sensation he had nearly forgotten had broken his slumber. It felt like a caress. None had come through these woods with tenderness towards the Forest in countless seasons.

Even more curious, he thought he had heard a greeting from the creature. The only beings wise enough to communicate with the Ents were Elves. Could the creature have been an elf? Why, many seasons had passed since he had seen or shared thoughts with an elf. He had opened his eyes only to hear the creature sprinting through the canopy. Then the orcs had come and he had lost his interest.

Treebeard sighed, his leaves rustling. He would have liked to speak to an elf again. Had he seen an elf? He had been unsure, but his curiosity had waned with the arrival of the orcs. Had he been—hasty?

Treebeard stretched one limb, then another and another. It would feel good to walk for a time. He turned himself west and began his way to Welling Hall. Perhaps he would ask Quickbeam what he thought about the greeting and about being hasty.