Chapter 51: No Place Safer

As they began to descend to the lower levels of the building, Pippin got decidedly nervous. "Lady Éowyn," Pippin cried when he saw the warden, "you're bringing us to the jail!"

"Precisely. They will not think to look here. At least not for some time yet. I am well aware it leaves you with no escape. In the meantime, I can learn exactly what occurs above. If things go afoul, then I will find another place for you, one with a possible means of escape."

Pippin still harbored suspicions, yet she hadn't tricked them to bring them here. He would have to trust her for now.

Lady Éowyn told the two to be silent as they walked the corridor of cells. She soon stopped before a door. "This is where you shall hide for now."

Pippin hesitated before leading Strider into the darkness beyond the heavy wooden door. To his surprise, the cell was already occupied. A greater shock came when he recognized the occupants. "Merry!" he cried, after he caught his breath.

"Pippin!" Merry looked just as shocked.

Pippin ran to his cousin, and the two hobbits clutched each other so firmly, Pippin thought he might never breathe again.

"Meriadoc Brandybuck! How in all of Middle-earth did you end up here?" Pippin asked, looking his cousin over. "And when? And—"

"O, Pip!" Merry said. "Gimli and I climbed out of Orthanc. We climbed! Just wait until you hear our tale!"

"Gimli!" Pippin tackled his friend. "I thought never to see you again! I thought—I—well, you're here, and alive and well, somewhat, by the look of it! I do hope they've fed you!"

Gimli grinned. "It is a wonder to see you as well, Pippin."

"I must hear all about this climbing out of Orthanc."

"Indeed." Gimli turned from Pippin. "Aragorn! How do you fare?"

Strider glanced at Pippin before answering. "I am well enough," he said.

"Here, Strider," Pippin said, and led him to an ancient-looking pallet. "You should sit. Your leg still needs rest."

Pippin looked at Gimli and Merry as Strider sat and considered how to explain all that had befallen them. "I told you, Merry, that Saruman had Strider under a spell. Well, it hasn't entirely worn off. He, well..." Pippin gave up his attempt and took the man's hand. "Strider?"

Strider looked at him, then at his surroundings. The Lady Éowyn then caught his attention, and he looked at her for a long moment before turning back to Pippin. "We were in Edoras, am I right?" he said. "The Lady Éowyn was to take us somewhere safe from the approaching Nazgûl."

Pippin frowned. "We are still in Edoras."

Strider looked warily at the stone cell walls. "This looks like nothing so much as my nightmare of the Stone."

Pippin's worry eased a bit. "This is all quite real, Strider. The safe place turns out to be a jail, of all places," he added, looking about. "It does look a bit ghoulish. But as the Lady said, they won't think of looking here, not right away."

Strider nodded. "So, tell me, could it be that the two I see behind you are real?"

Pippin smiled. "Yes, they are truly with us. Gimli and Merry are here."

Strider looked at the two behind him as if for the first time, and his wary expression gave way to a broad smile. "This is a blessed thing."

"Of course we are here!" said Merry and ran to Strider, hugging him. "I worried for you, up there in Saruman's hands."

Strider answered only with a wry smile.

Gimli trod over and patted the man's shoulder. "It is good to see you. Even if it is in a jail."

Strider sighed, bitterness tingeing his voice. "Yes, we are reduced to cowering underground in hiding from the Nazgûl." He shook his head. "I long for my sword and the chance to face both the Ringwraith and Saruman."

Strider's words alarmed Pippin. "Strider, it's better you stay here! As you said, you have no sword. And your leg is just healing. Please don't go up there!"

Strider sighed again. Pippin had to admit he looked better with every minute. "Do not fret, Pippin. I have no choice. It has been days..."

Suddenly, they looked above as one. The Black Rider was close. Pippin tried desperately to stand in place, though the urge to cower behind Strider was powerful. "Lady," Strider said, with more authority in his voice than Pippin had recently heard, "I advise that you see to the king. Make certain he is safe. We know not the true mission of the Enemy."

Éowyn nodded, and Gimli turned to her. "Lady Éowyn, If you recall, the scouts who brought us did not arrive... empty-handed. Do you know where they went with... them?"

Pippin wondered at the meaning of Gimli's words, and clearly so did Éowyn. But understanding soon came over her. "They are in the keeping of the king."

"Perhaps the king would allow them—or at least one of them—to return to its master?"

The woman's eyes bore into Gimli's. "I am not sure that is wise. But I shall think on it."