Chapter 53: Healing

Legolas followed Éowyn with a bit of reluctance as they entered Meduseld. He tried to rein in his fury at Gandalf for revealing so much to this woman who was little more than a stranger. Then his eyes fell upon her hair, and the distraction did much to calm his anger.

They turned a corner, and the ache in his ankle reminded him she was delivering him to the infirmary. He cared little for infirmaries, even at home in the Greenwood among Elves. What might he find in an infirmary of Men?

As they continued through dim passageways, Legolas pondered whether Gandalf had desired to rid himself of the burden he posed, for it was an otherwise useless act to send him here. The Men's healers could do nothing for him regardless of their skill—except feed him. After their meal that morning, Gandalf and Legolas had eaten only lightly, but the meal had awoken a great hunger in the elf. He felt as if he were a hobbit.

But he could do nothing to aid Gandalf in his search for the Enemy's servant. Legolas had not the strength to give aid in that fight. And loath though he was to admit it, the terror that paralyzed Men at a Ringwraith's approach seemed to touch him now. He despised this fear that threatened to immobilize him with panic. Perhaps it was a result of his proximity to the darkness in recent days. The shadow fed on such consuming horror. It was no wonder it reached him.

Weak and useless as he was, Legolas trusted Gandalf to set things right; then he would hold the wizard to his word. For though the Ents had reported no one at Isengard, his friends remained to be found.

He would not abandon his friends entirely. His betrayal had been enough. Never would Legolas forget his choice when offered the opportunity to return for them. If the Ents spoke truly and his friends did not lay lifeless somewhere in the tower, they likely had already left when he had made his regrettable decision. But that did not change the fact that he had turned from his friends in what might have been their time of uttermost need.

Entering the infirmary, Éowyn led him into a large room with several beds and a solitary window that looked out onto the night. Two healers tended to several patients and tried to calm their terror of the shadow. His familiar urge to flee the infirmary compounded the dark need for flight that hovered on the edges of his mind.

"Please come in." He walked in slowly, arms wrapped around his bare torso, as Éowyn lit several candles beside an empty bed. The only sign she felt the shadow was an occasional glance to the window. Legolas admired such strength of will. "Please take a seat on the bed there."

The bed creaked as he did as he was bid, willing himself not to look out the window as well. As Éowyn rummaged through shelves filled with bottles, boxes, and containers of herbs, oils, and elixirs, he realized Éowyn was to tend to his hurts herself. Clearly there was more to this woman.

Éowyn approached with a heavily laden tray and a smile. "Do not be startled by my load of supplies. I am simply uncertain as to what I shall need." She spoke slowly, as if uncertain whether he would understand. Legolas realized he had not spoken in her presence. Perhaps she thought him unfamiliar with the Common tongue.

"I do have many wounds, my Lady," Legolas said, attempting to return her smile, "as you can plainly see. But I am not mortally wounded." Perhaps he was the first elf she had ever seen. And likely she harbored great suspicions of him, if Gandalf spoke true. He ought to try to put her at ease.

"I am the healer here," she said tersely with a sharply raised eyebrow. "I will determine the severity of your wounds."

Or perhaps she needed no comforting. Most healers he had encountered in infirmaries forever insisted on treating him when he was in no need of treatment. At the moment, he was not in perfect health, but Fangorn's waters and Gandalf's care had assured that his body would eventually heal—though not soon enough to be of aid to Gandalf. The dark disquiet he battled threatened to unnerve him once more.