Chapter 56: Wizards and Kings

Gandalf was taken aback by the vision of Aragorn stepping into the dimly lit Hall. Despite his bedraggled state, Gandalf judged from the triumph in his eyes that he had recently been far worse. And from his words, his clarity of mind was not to be taken for granted either. He too had been through much since Gandalf had parted ways with the Company. Yet the man turned from Gandalf without a word to him.

Gandalf was gratified to see Saruman enter behind Aragorn. He had thought he would find the wizard easily enough, but he had not known how easy it would prove to be.

"Who are you to come charging into my court with drawn sword?" the king said, stomping his cane as he stood before his throne. His frown deepened as he looked upon the weapon. "It is a fine sword, I will say, one of extraordinary make. And yet it is not enough, for you hold also a wizard's staff."

"Lord of the Mark," Aragorn bowed after sheathing his sword, "I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. I beg apology for the intrusion. I have not found what I expected."

The king gave him a measuring look, not speaking for some time. Théoden's sharp eyes encouraged Gandalf that whatever spell Saruman had surely placed on the king had lapsed in recent hours, perhaps as a result of his distraction with the Nazgûl. "Please return the staff to the wizard. It is not for your hands. Then you will tell me how you come to be in my court."

"Lord Théoden," Aragorn answered, standing taller now, "you request a long tale. But in brief, I was brought to Edoras by the wizard Saruman, who had imprisoned me with my companions in Isengard, for what reasons I am yet unsure. For this, I am reluctant to return his staff."

Saruman interrupted. "You agreed to fight beside King Théoden. You swore fealty to me!"

Aragorn eyes smoldered with anger as he turned his gaze to Saruman. The man rarely had so little control over his emotions. Now they were just below the surface, as if his strength was spent elsewhere, and there was none left for such things.

"I have no recollection of such a promise!" The unusual note in Aragorn's voice sounded like shame. "You must understand, lord," Aragorn continued with a bitterness Gandalf had seldom heard from the Ranger, "Saruman bespelled me while I was in his hands. Once here, weaponless and still befuddled, I was forced into hiding when the Nazgûl approached, for others were convinced it came for me. With the departure of the Nazgûl, I wondered what new agreement Saruman had crafted." He glanced at the cape piled in the corner. "I see it went in Saruman's favor."

Théoden looked at Saruman with narrowed eyes, then back to Aragorn. "Despite your tale, a wizard's staff belongs with a wizard. You are no longer weaponless. For such reasons, I must insist you return the staff."

Aragorn looked at Théoden for a long moment, his uncertainty plain. When the man looked not once for counsel to him, Gandalf realized Aragorn believed him not truly there. He likely doubted his mind, perhaps more so because of Gandalf's presence. Gandalf remained silent. Aragorn must regain trust in himself, and he could only do that himself.

Aragorn handed the staff to Saruman. The wizard's eyes grew smug as he grasped the symbol of his power. Aragorn continued. "I am not weaponless, thanks to the wisdom of the Rohirrim. This sword was lost on the fields of Rohan when we were first captured by Saruman's orcs. I am told your scouts discovered the weapon and brought it to your court. The wise lady Éowyn and your equally wise doorwarden Hama sought to return the sword to its master."

He drew the sword once more and held it up, looking upon its brilliance with admiration that surely never faded. "I would be that master, for this sword was remade from the blade forged in ages past and used by Isildur to cut the One Ring from Sauron's hand."