Chapter 52: To Edoras

Gandalf and Legolas slowed as they drew within sight of the guards of the city of Edoras just after the moon had risen, pale and full. Earlier that day, the Chief of the Mearas had answered Gandalf's call, and Shadowfax had borne them with the greatest speed over the fields of Rohan. Not even Gandalf's concern for Legolas had allowed the wizard to tarry after he had given in to his need to arrive at Edoras.

Their only detour had come when Gandalf had found a grove of trees he knew should not be. The dark path had first been struck by orcs then by Ents. and Gandalf guessed that the tree-herders had caught their quarry. Since the creatures had clearly marched towards Rohan, Gandalf was certain he would find Saruman there, and more perhaps. His urgency flared anew, and they resumed their journey.

"Legolas, I fear I must now ask for my cloak." Gandalf had been able to provide the elf with food but not with clothing, and he was forced to wear the tatters in which the orcs had left him. Bereft of his tunic, Gandalf had offered him his cloak as protection from the wind as they rode. "I feel the need for discretion in revealing my robes. I would appear as King Théoden has long encountered me: as Gandalf the Grey." Legolas removed the cloak, his wounds evident even in the dark.

At the gate, the interrogation was particularly demanding, but they were given entrance in the end due to the long memory of the Rohirrim and the long if tumultuous friendship with Gandalf. As they passed through the gate, what had been simply an ill feeling blossomed into a shadow over his mind, and Gandalf knew what plagued Edoras. Behind him, Legolas shivered. "Do you feel a chill, Legolas?"

After a hesitation, he answered, "No, Mithrandir, I am not chilled."

"Then you feel it as well."

"Aye, the Shadow is come to Edoras. I fear one of the Nine is here."

"It may be so. What it seeks, we shall learn soon enough."

Few dared the shadow or the late hour to note their arrival as they approached the great hill of Meduseld. Those who did looked longer on their horse than the riders, though had there been light enough to reveal that Mithrandir rode with an elf, they might have managed to tear their eyes from the horse. Fear was in the eyes of all, and Gandalf thought it no coincidence that the Nine had come to Rohan when Saruman had.

The thought that the wizard he had held in such high esteem might have dealings with the Nazgûl saddened Gandalf. Had Saruman already aligned himself with the forces of Darkness? Gandalf dearly hoped he was not too late.

As Shadowfax climbed the winding path that led to the Golden Hall, the moonlight revealed, among the guards standing at the entrance, a young woman, stern of face, her golden hair flowing free, her white dress lit by the moonlight.

The wizard remembered Éowyn, sister-daughter of the King and daughter of Éomund. She had grown into a lovely young lady, but it appeared that life had not been easy on her. Undoubtedly she felt the effect of the shadow, but it was as if she willed it away, such was the hardness of her countenance. It appeared that all those on the terrace of Meduseld had rooted themselves to their places to defy the urge to flee and hide.

Alighting from Shadowfax to ascend the stairs on foot, Gandalf turned to assist Legolas from the horse. The elf had climbed from his seat already and looked upon the king's sister-daughter.

"Legolas?"

"Are there Elves in Rohan?"

Gandalf frowned. "Not to my knowledge. In truth, I counsel you to tread carefully here. The Rohirrim hold Elves under much suspicion. They have not seen an elf in many a generation and know only what has passed down in legend..." He glanced in the direction in which Legolas stared. "She is a woman, Legolas."

"A woman, of course" he said as he stepped away from the horse. "Of Men. She—It is merely that—no woman—"

Gandalf tried desperately to suppress his laughter, with little success. "Has ever tongue-tied an elf in such a manner before, I am quite certain."

"You misunderstand me!" Legolas said sharply, and Gandalf regretted his laughter. Legolas frowned, then said simply, "It is her hair."

Gandalf's eyebrows rose. "Her hair?"

"Yes," Legolas said calmly, as if he had explained everything satisfactorily. He returned his gaze to the woman they now approached. In a low voice only Gandalf and nearby elves could hear, he said, "It looks deserving of an elf-maid's head."

They had reached the terrace, and Gandalf turned to the Rohirrim with a smile that was not returned. "Greetings, my Lady Éowyn, men of Rohan. It is difficult to provide proper welcome under the pall of the shadow, and so I hold not this welcome against you." Gandalf bowed low to Éowyn with a small smile.

"Long indeed, Gandalf Greyhame," Éowyn said sternly. "Many wonder that you make an appearance only in the darkest of times. Some say you bring the darkness with you. Now, perhaps more will say so."

Gandalf frowned. He hoped the mood of the court was better than this woman's. "I know you have felt the approach of the shadow. But I have traveled far by day and night to reach Edoras. In the light of day or dark of the shadow, I must have speech with the king."

"We felt the approach of the shadow and then witnessed its arrival. The Ringwraith swept in and entered Meduseld not long ago. Never has Edoras been trespassed by one of the Servants of the Enemy."

A guard stepped forward. "I am Hama, Doorward of Meduseld. Never did I leave my post, but I fear we were unable to halt his passage. You know well, Gandalf, the fear he puts in the hearts of Men. We—we could do nothing to stop him."

"It is well you did not try, and why you live another day. There is nothing you can do to stop one of the Nine, regardless of the fear or courage in your hearts."

Éowyn stepped forward once more, her expression softened. "Saruman has entered the Golden Hall, where the Nazgûl entered, and speaks with him. Neither has left in some time."

At the mention of Saruman Legolas tensed beside him. Gandalf hoped his need for vengeance would wait its turn.

Taking in all they had told him and all he had guessed, Gandalf saw his path. "I ask you, Hama, if you can find it within you, to remain here at the entrance to the Golden Hall. If by chance anyone attempts to enter, you must keep him out. It will likely save his life."

"Keeping a man out shall not be difficult, Gandalf."

"Where is the king?" Gandalf asked Éowyn.

"I have only now come from his quarters, after stationing guards outside his rooms."

"Well done. I must now see what sort of debate goes on within the walls of the Golden Hall."

"The king's law is that none enter the Hall armed," said Hama. He looked to Lady Éowyn. "But I fear this is not a day for which the law was made."

Gandalf smiled. "You are wise, Hama." Only now did Gandalf turn to Legolas. It was then that they noticed. The eyes of the guards widened, while those of Éowyn narrowed. Legolas returned the scrutiny of the Lady of Rohan.

Before they could decide to bar him entrance, Gandalf turned to Éowyn. "My Lady, my friend Legolas has been through many trials, as is plain to see. I have done all I can for him, but he is yet in need of proper care. If you would be so kind, your infirmary would be capable of tending to his outstanding hurts. A spare tunic would also be appreciated. Oh, and food as well. Orcs do not feed their prisoners." He kept his eyes on Éowyn as Legolas's bore into him.

"Orcs?" said a guard. "And you lived?"

Legolas turned now to the guard. His mouth turned up on one side. "Elves are rather hard to kill."

"Oh—of course, Gandalf. We shall do what we can." She turned to the elf, only a bit less hesitant than before. "Please, follow me." Éowyn turned and led the way inside.

Only then did Gandalf turn to Legolas, but his eyes were already on the lady as they followed her into the Hall of Meduseld. Before crossing the threshold, however, the elf glanced at Gandalf, his grey eyes dark and inscrutable. The elf was now in the hands of the Rohirrim's healers, and Gandalf hoped he had done right for him. Legolas and Éowyn exited the vestibule through a side door, and Gandalf left the guards to continue into the Golden Hall.