Chapter 60: Legends and Fables

"Now that much business has been seen to," King Théoden said, "perhaps we may move on to our morning meal and eventually to the minor business of preparing for war?" He sat once more at his throne, which shone dully in the morning's light streaming in from the high windows. Gimli wished to get to the business of war as well. The prospect of cutting down a few orcs might provide distraction from his misery.

"My lord," a guard announced as he entered the hall. "We have visitors."

"Visitors?" Lord Théoden said testily.

"Aye, my lord," the guard said hesitantly. "A small group awaits speech with the king."

Gimli was irked by the additional delay. The king might decide to send the rest of them to the meal, while he and Gandalf discussed the approach of Mordor. Gimli would then hear nothing of battle plans.

Lord Théoden cast an accusatory look at the wizard beside him. "Are you quite sure, Gandalf, that you have woken me from Saruman's spell, or have you put me under a spell of your own? Hobbits, dwarves, and Elves reside under my roof, as well as the fabled heir of Isildur. What legend shall walk forth next?"

Gandalf raised an eyebrow. "Be wary with your words, lord. All legends need not be pleasant ones."

The guard returned to the hall, prepared to announce the visitors. Lord Théoden glanced again at Gandalf, who held up a hand. "I harbor no other legends, my lord."

Théoden turned to the guard. "Do our most recent visitors have names?"

"They call themselves the sons of Elrond, my lord, and they ride with Rangers from the North under one named Halbarad."

Gimli was startled when beside him Aragorn let out a roaring laugh. "Halbarad!" Clearly the Rangers were well known to each other. But Gimli could only wonder what would bring the sons of Elrond to Rohan. Could fortune be returning to them? Or did they come bearing ill news?

The king gave Gandalf a pointed look. "Send them in."

Aragorn was already at the door and grasped Halbarad fiercely in his arms as he entered. "I cannot express the joy the sight of you brings me!" He pulled the man into a hug, while the man appeared somewhat bewildered by the eagerness of Aragorn's welcome.

Aragorn did the same with the two who followed. Gimli had met Elrohir and Elladan once while in Rivendell. They looked so like elves, as their father did, that Gimli did not quite believe Aragorn's explanation that they were only half elven.

The warmth among them twisted Gimli's gut, reminding him of the cold departure of Legolas. Despite what he had done, he had come to know Legolas as a merciful creature, and he had not truly expected rejection. He had been foolish in that. He had seen the betrayal in the elf's eyes. He should have expected no more.

Aragorn's voice broke into Gimli's thoughts. "I would know what brings you here, though you are not unwanted."

"Brother, did we not teach you better manners?" one of the elves said. "Should we not first greet the Lord of Rohan before having speech with you?"

Aragorn had the good grace to look sheepish and led the way to Lord Théoden. The three bowed before him and introduced themselves.

"We have traveled in haste on the summons of our chief," said Halbarad, glancing at Aragorn, who in turn looked confused. "Signs pointed to Rohan when we sought him out, and I am gratified to find him here. The sons of Elrond carry a message for him as well."

Lord Théoden looked to Aragorn, but Aragorn clearly had no explanation. "I never summoned you," he said hesitantly, "though your aid would have been a boon in recent days. I—I could not have summoned you," Aragorn added quietly, and stole a look at Pippin, who stood with his cousin and Gimli.