Steve Rogers- Here

(I was going to write something happy but, you know, then I couldn't.)

The darkness of your room is almost comforting as you pull your knees to your chest and try to disappear in the blankets.

You're so exhausted, drained from the endless missions and training, but you can't sleep as the dread washes over you. It pulls you under, making it hard to breathe and you struggle to break free, but you're only dragged down deeper and deeper.

A knock at your door shoots paralyzingly panic up your spine, but you force yourself to move and pause at the door.

"Who is it?" You clear your throat to get rid of the shakiness and grip the handle tightly.

"It's me,"

You sigh, letting Steve in and you're instantly enveloped in warm arms and pulled against his firm chest.

"I-"

"You don't have to say anything," He murmurs, pressing a kiss to your forehead and smiles. "I know you need your space, so I'll-"

"No," You take his hand quickly, but let it go when he looks back. "I-I mean.. you don't have to go,"

He nods, closes the door and maneuvers his way to the bed with you trailing closely behind. Once he's scooted over, you climb into the sheets and snuggle closer to him, feeling the tightness in your chest slowly unravel.

"I'll always be here," he says softly, combing a hand through your hair and you sigh. "Don't forget that, okay? No matter what,"

"Thanks," you whisper, unable to say anything else as your eyes slowly close and you sleep for the first time in days.