Chapter Eight : Taj Mahal

Jonathan:

She looked so sweet and tender. Her lips were parted slightly, her hair was disheveled, and she was an absolute beautiful mess. She is the most breathtaking girl I have had the pleasure to know. It is so difficult to fathom a life without her.

"Ashton, what's going on with you two?" I asked the question that's been circulating my brain for a long time. It really hurts me to see her in pain, and what Ashton says to her does just that.

"Nothing you should be concerned about." He shook his head, getting up from the chair. 

It's five in the morning and the sun's beginning to rise. Ashton and I stayed here with her over-night. My whole body aches from sleeping in the plastic chair, but I don't care as long as it's my beautiful angel that I'm sacrificing myself for.

"Seriously, Ashton. You know how hurt she is every time that you insult her. She needs her big brother now." I clutched her still warm hand, the same one I felt I was never going to be able to touch again just twenty four hours ago.

"So? I don't like seeing her hurt either, but after what she did I can't forgive her.  You know nothing." 

What's his problem? Mels never tells me what happens. She always changes the topic or lies to me. There is a lot more to this than they are showing. It's something big and as much as I want to know what it is, they won't tell me.

"What could she have possibly done?! Will someone tell me already?"

"It's none of your concern, Jonathan. Stay out of it." Ashton sent me a menacing glare. "Watch her. I'm leaving." He then leaned down to kiss her forehead, and stormed out the room with his hands in his pockets.

I did as he instructed and watched her sleep, observing how her chest moves up and down in accordance to her breaths. It brought me peace just focusing on her. You'd think tending to someone else as they slept would be a long tedious task, but to me it was... interesting.

A few hours later it was eight thirty-three. I had dozed in and out of sleep a couple times, not being able to contain my drowsiness. My mother had sent me a text half an hour before telling me to go home so that we could talk about something. I couldn't bear to part with Mels and leave, so mother and I compromised to meet at the cafeteria. I was supposed to be going now, but I felt rooted to the spot.

"You look tired," A plump ginger nurse commented, walking in gently.

 "I am." I nodded my head, batting my eyelashes quickly to get rid of some of the heaviness.

"You should go home and rest up, dear. She won't be going anywhere." The nurse moved around the bed to check on Lani's heart monitor.

"I can't. I have to go to the cafeteria, but I just can't leave her." I clutched Lani's hand closer to me, she was the one who held my strength.

"I'll notify you when she wakes up if you'd like." The nurse offered, writing her observations on a clipboard.

"Can you?" I asked cautiously. 

"Sure, hon. Go, I'll go fetch you at the cafeteria if she wakes up."

"Thanks.-" I smiled at the woman. Kissing Mels lightly on the forehead, I gave her one last look before walking out the door.

When I got to the cafeteria my Mom was sitting alone at one of the many tables of the cafeteria with a cup of steaming coffee in front of her. She looked just like she does every morning; tired and sleep deprived.

"Hey, Mom." I pecked her cheek and slid into the chair beside her.

"Hey, dear. How's Melanie?" She took a sip of her coffee, concern etched in her face.