Chapter Twenty-Five : Aria's Smile

Several days passed and I felt increasingly numb. I didn't want to think about anything or feel anything. I just wanted to curl up in a ball and forget this cruel world has dealt its harshest cards to me. I got up without Melina needing to toss me out of the bed. It was a crisp Saturday morning and it was uncharacteristically warm. I wanted to go get some fresh air. My room has been too stuffy lately.

I dressed in a simple loose shirt and some old shorts with flip flops. I grabbed a floral hat from my closet and didn't look at the array of make-up adorning my dresser when I walked out the door. I don't have any reason to get dolled up for. I'm comfortable as is.

"Where are you going?" Mom asked with suspicious eyes as she put a plate of pancakes on the kitchen island.

"I don't know yet." I grabbed a banana from the fruit bowl in the center of the island and peeled it.

"Don't be out too late." She warned, turning her back on me.

"Kay." I said, walking out the kitchen door.

The sun was shining really bright outside and I instantly regretted not bringing a pair of sunglasses with me. I didn't feel like going back inside the house, so I kept on walking. I didn't have a particular destination in mind. I just wanted to get away from here. I wanted to find a new environment with new people. Maybe the tightness in my chest would go away if I could breathe a different air. Less tainted air.

I wound around the block and neared the entrance of the residential community. I could hear the faint laughter of children in the distance. I stopped in front of the crosswalk and decided not to exit the community. There was a playground and pool with a small recreational area in front of the community entrance. I've only been here a few times because it's usually always full of noisy children. Today there were strangely only a few kids on the playground. The pool was empty.

I chose to go to the pool and lay down on a pool lounge chair after tossing out my banana peel. The chair was scratchy on my legs and felt like it's suffered many years of ware. I should have brought a towel. Oh, well. I close my eyes and drift away for a while. I listen to the sound of the pool's filter and the laughter of the children in the playground nearby. The sun heats up my skin and I welcome it. It's so nice here, I could bake under the sun forever.

My phone's ringtone breaks the peaceful silence around me. I groan and check to see who it could possibly be. It's not like anyone really calls me anymore. I'm mildly surprised to see that it is Jalissa. I haven't spoken much to her since I fell into my depression.

"Hello?" I answer, sounding way more irritated than I intended.

"Mels! We haven't spoken in ages! How are you, girly?" She chirped.

"I'm doing well." I lied through my teeth. "How are you?"

"I'm great! I've been thinking to call you for days. Mels, I'm so sorry I haven't been around all that much the past months. I've been trying to get into U of A so desperately for my scholarship and haven't had much time for anything."

"It's okay, Jalissa." I smile a sad smile even though she can't see. I did need a friend and she wasn't there. However, I can't fault her for it. This is my war to fight.

"Anyways, Cole got in and I'm waiting on my acceptance letter any day now. Did you apply to Columbia after all?" She asked.

"Nah, I don't have the pristine record to get in. I'll just stay in state." For as well as I have been doing lately it's still not enough. Colleges look at all four years of high school and I don't exactly have the best track record.

"Bummer. You could have done really well there." She lamented. I crossed my fingers in hopes she wouldn't ask about Jonathan after the small-talk.

"Yeah, but I'll be fine anyways."