Chapter Twenty-Three : Lunch Meeting

The day Melina and Ashton took me out I didn't just gain a wonderful memory with my siblings and a super cute stuffed penguin, but I regained the bit of strength I needed to get out of bed each morning. I managed to get fully caught up on my studies thanks to the help of Jalissa and my online tutors. I even thought about what career path I wanted and applied to a few schools. Ashton helped me a lot with essays and I went out to visit the campuses of the local schools with Melina. It's strange to think my siblings and I get along so well now.

What's stranger than all that is my dramatic scholastic improvement. I used to be a student that would only sort of get by, but the lack of having anything else to do left me to dive deep into my studies. Jonathan was still there every day in my classes. He never looked at me, though. He started talking to other girls and sooner than I expected I became a complete stranger to him. I wanted to go up to him and demand he pay attention to me, but I lacked the courage and heart to do it.

I started getting grades much more amazing than I thought I was capable of, but I didn't feel proud of them. They didn't give me the joy in life that I was wanting for so desperately to fill the void Jonathan left. That's when I decided to join as many clubs as I could, just to get my mind off of Jonathan for a little while.

I joined the science club, the community service club, the fashion club, and the computer club. I joined any who was looking for members without any criteria of my own. I made sure to go to every event, to do every activity they came up with. I did it all in hopes that one day I would forget his name.

But this stupid, stupid man! His face followed me around like a nightmare I couldn't escape. Every time I heard someone call his name in class my head snapped up like a natural instinct I couldn't help. There he was; always smiling like nothing happened. He smiled like he had never loved me. He smiled like he didn't grab my heart in his hands and step on it.

The Friday before a holiday I arrived late to homeroom. I had decided to walk and enjoy the fresh air while Melina hitched a ride with a friend she made on the cheer squad. I didn't think I'd be late as long as I left early enough, but I didn't expect there to be so much attendance in class either. The seats were all filled and the only one open was the one right in front of Jonathan. Ever since what had happened between us, I had chosen to sit as far away from him as possible. It was clear to me that we were over and I had no intention of rubbing salt in my wound. Why does the big man test me like this? Ugh.

I take a seat hesitantly and pull out my journal for my English class. I flip through the pages in search of something to distract me, but Jonathan moves and his scent wafts up my nose. I stop right in my tracks, letting the wonderful smell penetrate my senses sinfully. I shake my head.

Stop it, Melanie! You're better than this!

I dig into my backpack in search of some project that may need revising or some homework assignment I may have missed. Unfortunately, I have been meticulous about my work and everything is ready to be turned in in its final form. I put my face in my hands.

What do I do?

"Melanie..." He calls out to me.

What kind of sick dream is this?

"Do you have an extra pencil?" He sticks out his hand and that is when I know I am not making his sweet voice up in my head.

"Sure." I hastily dig through my backpack for my pencil pouch. I do it so nervously I almost break the zipper on the pouch.

"Thanks." He answers as I hand it over, and just like that all the strength I've built up the past few weeks goes to hell.

"We need to talk. Look for me at lunch." He says as if our brief exchange wasn't enough to remind me of all the pain I locked inside my heart.