Chapter 1

Chapter 1-

Unwanted...

Unloved...

Alone...

Three words that are constantly pushing their way into my mind.

Everyone leaves.

My family is gone, my friends are gone, and my home is gone.

I was left with nothing.

But, none of that matters to me anymore; I've accepted the loneliness and I'm trying to move on with my life (or whats left of it.) but trust me when I say that it's not easy to forget your past, especially when it's a painful one.

I live alone in a small one bedroom apartment. It was the best thing that I could afford with the money that I had earned from interning at the local law firm of White and O'Brien. They are nice people, and I enjoy spending my time at the firm.

School is like my own personal hell.

Everyone tries to avoid me at all costs, and when they can't, they are ridiculed for associating themselves with the 'Freak' or "weird goth girl'. although their favorite name for me is 'Emo slut.'

Well, I kind of brought those name upon myself. My average school attire is a pair of distressed light wash skinny jeans, a tight black t-shirt, and a pair of black heeled combat boots. I don't wear this outfit to look like a whore, I wear it because I can't afford anything better.

Well, now that you know about my life as a lonely 17 year old girl, I should probably tell you the story.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Cora, would you mind printing 100 copies of this flier for the marathon against child abuse? It's this weekend and I hear that they need as much help as they can get." Asks Mr. O'Brien, one of the partners of the law firm that I work at.

"Not at all." I say smiling. I grab the flier and walk into the copy room, where there are printers and copy machines everywhere.

I walk up to the closest copier and slide the paper into place. I press 100 then walk out of the room once I'm sure the machine is copying the pages properly.

"Someone looks tired today." Says one of the younger lawyers, named Kim.

Kim has short blond hair and chocolate brown eyes. Shes medium height, and extremely skinny. Most of the lawyers at the firm are in their late thirties/ early forties, but Kim is only 26. I only know that because when I first started here, I assumed that everyone was older than thirty and I told her that she looks so young. When she told me her actual age I could have kicked myself for being so stupid.

"Yeah, I'm exhausted!" I say, putting a small smile on my face for Kim's sake. "That guy who lives upstairs threw a huge party last night, and it didn't end 'til like six this morning." I say letting out a small yawn.

"Well, if it's ever to loud for you to sleep again, please call me. You know how I feel about that neighbor, and I would feel so much better knowing you were away from that crappy music he likes to play." She says in all seriousness, "Besides, I love sleepovers!"

Kim is my best (And only) Friend. We may have almost a ten year age difference, but she understands me better then anyone. she grew up in the foster system, so she knows what I meant when I told her how I felt alone. She is the ONLY person who knows about my living 'situation'. Personally I want to keep it like that.

"Cora, did you copy those marathon fliers for me, like I had asked you too?" Asked Mr. O'Brien, walking out of his office. 

"Yes sir." I say with a smart-ass solute. "I'll go get them right now!" I then walk past him and head to the copy room once again, leaving him to shake his head with a small smile.