Chapter 12.1~Kalas Hem

EVABELLE

The wall of sound hit her before she even saw the building. It took Evabelle a moment to realize that it was music. Tons of different music, turned up to the highest level, all being blared out as one. The ground shook beneath their feet as the contrasting bases fought to overpower each other.

The group came over the last hill, revealing what looked like one of those rich vacation homes where the walls were all pretty much windows and the roof was angled in a way that one might consider quite stylistic. The entire sanctuary was lit with all assortments of flashing lights as the music (if you could call it that) continued. Shadows of beings that were obviously not human jumped and danced to the noise that made Evabelle want to clap her hands over ears.

"We'll go through the side door!" Shaundee yelled over the din, as the neared her estate. Then she brought them to a glass door and slid it open to allow them all to step in. The room they all entered was cluttered with statues, fountains, large banners, and many other ostentatious items. Evabelle eased her way around the grandiose objects to the center of this odd space where an identical star to that in Calandra's Sanctuary was painted on the ground. It was the only part of the floor that wasn't piled high with some strange artifact.

Shaundee put her hands on her hips. "I told Patrick to go get the jackets then to meet us in here. Honestly where is that goof?"

As if on cue, the door on the other side of the room opened, allowing the music on the other side to truly penetrate the room for a moment, before it closed. Then Evabelle heard a grunt and something crash.

"Patrick!" Shaundee exclaimed. "Tell me you didn't break the All Hallows Mirror!"

Calandra shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"No, no!" Replied a man's voice over the ruckus. "It was the stack of those old brass candle holders. Don't worry Shaundee, nothing is broken!" Out of the maze of stuff, emerged a portly, balding man with a pair of large round glasses, carrying a stack of different colored jackets. "Sorry, the pixies are still terribly unhappy about Raoul. They won't stop complaining until he's out."

Shaundee shook her head. "Seriously, I though perhaps since they got that little chance to work together, that they'd just..." She trailed off and sighed. "This is a home welcome to all. If anyone has a problem with that then they can leave."

Patrick nodded. "That's what I told them."

"Everyone this is my brother, Patrick Valentine, the famous, eccentric inventor of magical artifacts, potions, and other bizarre doodads. He's a genius and a complete weirdo." Shaundee grinned.

Patrick pulled a face at his sister. "Yes, well this is my sister, who doesn't know when she-"

Suddenly CJ let out a cry from Lucis's arms. "If you please, Sir, " Said the Anahalian holding the injured boy. "He needs help, quickly."

"Oh, yes of course!" Patrick exclaimed, waddling forward.

CJ's eyes suddenly flashed open and he grasped the round man's arm, nearly knocking the stack clothes from his arms. What came out of CJ's mouth was nearly incomprehensible, but Evabelle could just make out a few breathy words. "When...s-sun sets...m-m-moon... al-already...ris...en..." He barely managed that before his eyes rolled back again and was silent.

Evabelle gasped and ran forward, looking down at her sweet, clumsy friend that had saved her life. She looked up at Patrick. "Please Mr. Valentine. Please help him!"