Chapter 17.1~Lucis

EVABELLE

Etheldreda's eyes were wide, and she was no longer smiling. Her hand wasn't glowing that iridescent color anymore either. Evabelle took a step up toward the witch, who stumbled back and tumbled unceremoniously into her throne. "Do you understand now?" Evabelle asked.

Etheldreda nodded slowly, still staring, completely dumbfounded.

"Good." Evabelle replied, feeling, once again, like she was watching this whole thing, not actually experiencing it. This terrifyingly powerful witch was cowering before Evabelle. It just couldn't be happening. No one cowered before a coward. "I won't harm you, but you will take me to Averno."

Etheldreda swallowed and hesitantly returned to her feet. She came down from her platform and dazedly started for the doors. "I-" She tried to speak. "It's...it's this way."

Evabelle fell into step behind her feeling almost as shocked as Etheldreda. She was pulling it off. She was managing the hoax well. Evabelle could hardly believe it. With Calandra's help she had managed to help create lifelike Anahalian wings that responded to her. The illusion of wings was complicated. They were the manifestation of angelic power. They weren't like any bird's, though some Anahalians wings could be compared to them. In reality they were far more intricate. Calandra needed a basic outline, that was close to them, as well as just something physical that could respond to Evabelle's thoughts. Evabelle didn't know why she hadn't made the connection earlier. Matthew Kendall had wings and a book about people with wings. It made sense.

Once they had gotten the wings, Calandra had put a spells on them, making it sturdy, but light. There was of course the spell that made the metal look like actual wings with actual feathers. And then there was the illegal magic. Calandra had linked the wings to Evabelle's mind. Using magic on living things was highly dangerous and against mage law. But to make them convincing, Evabelle would have to move the wings like an Anahalians did. The danger was she could not remove them, until Calandra unlinked them. If she tried it would hurt like crazy, potentially killing her. By linking it to her mind, it was more than just a Halloween costume. It was almost a part of her.

The plan was to get them to lower the barrier by Evabelle turning herself in, so that Calandra could slip in with one of the mage's creations keeping her from being detected. The mage was now searching the castle for the captured friends. Etheldreda said they would release Kai and Aza, but Evabelle wasn't leaving without all of her friends.

The plan was going well so far. Her part was to act like the true Anahalian princess, and hopefully keep Averno talking, maybe find out something about the virus (that was hoping for a lot she knew.) Really though, her goal was just to stay alive until her friends were free, and could hopefully come and bail her out.

It was insane, and had very little chance of success, but she had to try.

Evabelle stared at the back of Etheldreda's head as they strode down a corridor. She hoped the witch didn't have any super senses. Otherwise, she would probably hear Evabelle's heart hammering out of her chest. All things considering, Evabelle felt proud of how far she had gotten. She had managed to fool the one who had fooled her. It helped the fear that Etheldreda gave. It helped Evabelle play the part.

Evabelle cleared her throat, and noted the witch, twitch. "Since we are alone, I do have a few questions."

Etheldreda didn't give any inclination that she had heard her.

"CJ," Evabelle began. "How long has he been your familiar?"

Etheldreda was quiet for a moment. "When I was placed to keep an eye on you, I figured it might be good to get a familiar. I had never had a human one, so I started practicing on him. I just did small excursions, enough that, he didn't even realize what was happening. But he became my official familiar just after you left Michael's summer party."