Chapter 18.2

After years of never remembering a single dream, and a large blank space in her memory before the age of seven, Evabelle finally had a dream that she remembered.  It was that very night after talking to Lucis that she had that dream.  That dream she would remember as her first dream that was far more like a nightmare.  A nightmare of blood and death.

            It began with music.  She was in a room full of people, laughing and dancing.  Evabelle turned this way and that, but for some reason, none of their faces were clear.  Evabelle tried to stop someone to ask if they knew where her friends were, but they all ignored her and kept to their party.  Distantly, Evabelle recognized the familiar piano, she always heard before going to sleep.  She made her way through the crowd, to the source, and as she suspected, it was the piano.  At the piano sat a man with dark hair and a dark beard.  He actually had a recognizable face.  It was Velrose.  He played the piano and laughed.  It was so strange.  He had seemed like such a strict man.  Beside the piano was a woman with one of the most beautiful voices, Evabelle had ever heard.  In shock she realized that it was Shaundee.  Calandra's mother was leaning over the piano, grinning at her husband, who returned the smile.  There was love in their gazes, and Evabelle wondered how, those two had fallen away from each other.

            Suddenly another stunning sound rung in Evabelle's ears.  She whirled to see something amazing.  Calandra had the perfect body, the perfect face, at least that's what Evabelle had always seen.  But now it was perfect.  Calandra was twirling around in a dress of shimmery material.  The mage's eyes were alight and her smile was dazzling.  Evabelle had never seen her happy, at least not like this.  Once again, the mage laughed as she danced to her parent's song.  And Evabelle herself, couldn't help, but feel the joy that poured from the room.

            But it only lasted a few moments.  Suddenly a chill swirled through the room, making everyone's laughter fade.  Evabelle turned and saw Shaundee push herself away from the piano and start making her way through the crowd towards the door.  Nobody stopped her.  No one even gave her a second glance.  But at each step that she took, the music grew slower, and sadder.  Evabelle turned to see Calandra.  The mage had stopped dancing, and appeared to be the only one staring after her mother.  "Mom?"  Her voice held fear, but Evabelle didn't understand.  Wouldn't she come back?  Perhaps it was the music, or the look of pain in Calandra's eyes, but Evabelle realized that Shaundee was not just leaving the room.

            Once the door shut on Calandra's mother, the entire party vanished, and there was no music.  Evabelle whirled in a circle, but no one was left, except herself and Calandra, who continued to stare at the door.  Evabelle had never seen the mage cry, and even then, she did not, but her eyes spoke saying, that on the inside, there was nothing.  Evabelle felt tears leak down her cheeks.  She opened her mouth to say something to the mage, but before she could get the words out, the floor dropped out from beneath both of them, and they fell into darkness.

            Evabelle's scream was wrenched from her.  She could see nothing, and hear nothing.  She had no idea if Calandra was still with her, but there was some moment that Evabelle realized that she was no longer falling.  Evabelle blinked in surprise and rose to her feet.  For a moment she felt like she was back in the mirror room.  The walls, the ceiling, the floor was all mirrors, but Evabelle did not see her reflection.  She turned and saw Calandra, once more, standing in the center of the room, but the mirrors did not reflect her either.  There was a figure in each mirror.  It was all the same person.  All of them had the same coppery hair, the same cold smile, and the same eyes that had belonged to Evabelle's friend.  Etheldreda.

            The girl, so young, compared to Calandra, leered out at her.  "My dear sister, look what you have helped to create."

            Evabelle saw Calandra close her eyes, as the witch in the mirror began to laugh.  The laugh echoed throughout the room, growing louder and louder, until Evabelle had to cover her ears.