Chapter 15.1~The Witch's Familiar

EVABELLE

It's today. No longer tomorrow. Evabelle stared up at the ceiling, her mind spinning around with the thought of their mission. Today we are practically jumping blindly into this insanity. A knock on Evabelle's door didn't even stir her. "Bellz? Are you up? Are you ready for an adventure?"

A small smile managed to slide onto Evabelle's face. So this is the adventure? Do tell me what the rest of this has been. She thought and then frowned as the same two words repeated through her head. The same two words that had been cycling through her mind since seven o'clock that morning.

Golden wings.

Those were the words that were dragging her on this death trap. Golden wings. Evabelle sat up. "It turned gold." She shook her head and rose. Having dressed already, she went and opened the door for Aza, who grinned and linked arms with Evabelle. "Let's go!"

Breakfast was a bit of a rushed meal. Everyone zipped in and out of the room, speaking with each other in urgent voices, not helping Evabelle's nerves. Aza, CJ, and she were the only ones sitting eating their food. It was just some simple cereal, which was a first in the Sanctuary. Normally a delicious hot meal was made, but not now. Calandra was far too busy getting the precise location of the portal at the dwarf kingdom.

Evabelle watched the mage dash in and pick up two pieces of toast, toss one to Lucis, who stood in the doorway, waiting for her, then leave with the Anahalian. Evabelle swallowed her bite of cheerios. He hadn't even acknowledged her that morning. Well, she supposed. Most of the others haven't either.

Faux entered and slid casually onto the stool next to Evabelle. He snatched up an apple from the bowl at the center of the counter and took a bite. "A bit chaotic, ain't it?" He murmured after he swallowed.

Evabelle turned away from the doorway to look at him.

"No, kidding." Aza agreed. She took her bowl over to the sink and then turned, leaning back against it. "So why aren't you joining in the fun?"

Faux examined his piece of fruit, his eyes not really seeing it. "I prefer to stay out of the stressful planning situations."

"But apparently, stressful executions of dangerous missions are good with you." Aza folded her arms.

Faux grinned wryly up at her, but didn't say anything.

"Is something wrong?" Evabelle asked. Faux wasn't acting like his usual self.

Faux placed his apple down on the counter, still with the single bite out of it. "I—" He began and then shook his head. "It's nothing, really."

Aza's eyes narrowed. "What's up?"

The Anahalian eyed Aza for a moment and then glanced at Evabelle and CJ. "I suppose I can tell you." He relented. "I overheard something that makes me think that this may not be the wisest decision."

Evabelle could have told him the millions of reasons why it wasn't the wisest decision, but she remained quiet.

"I heard Lucis and Del talking this morning. They were saying how Del's visions have never happened the way they did last night." Faux stared at the apple on the counter. "He's never had them be disjointed, like that." He looked up at them. "You know, how he seemed to have finished, and then his eyes lit up again and he gave the last bit?"

Evabelle swallowed. Golden Wings.

Slowly, Aza pulled herself away from the sink, her arms still folded as she processed this. "So it was like two visions, but that's never happened before?" She checked.