Chapter 3 - Aurora

Shannon fell asleep within about seven minutes of getting in the car. I had wrapped my jacket around her as her's was unbelievably thin and worn. My heart ached for Jason. I couldn't imagine what he was going through again. Bradley had been so much better and less isolated lately. He was even going to a support group to help him with any feelings he may not understand.

Please be ok! I thought.

Bradley had always been like a brother to me. The three of us had all gone to school together and, much like Zac and Ella, had known each other since before then. Shannon had appealed to my parents charity, which was coincidentally filed directly to my mother. Shannon was a sixteen-year-old, heavily pregnant runaway at the time but there hadn't been any homes available so my parents brought her into our home until there was room somewhere. In the end she moved in with a co-worker from the job my parents had found for her. The man Bradley had known as his father was not his biological one but no one had any intention of finding him as, even at eighteen, that man was a womanising drunk.

I pulled into the parking space and gently shook the sleeping woman. She awoke startled with a confused expression.

"We are at my parents place Mrs James," I reminded her.

She nodded slowly, "Thank you for this."

I smiled back, "Don't mention it."

I climbed out the car and strolled briskly to the other side to help out Shannon. I helped her across the driveway to the house where my mother was already waiting at the door. She helped Shannon in and towards the guest bedroom upstairs. I flopped on the sofa in my normal place next to my father. It had been a tradition since I was a little girl.

"How is she?" My father questioned, putting down his book.

I sighed, "In pieces. But who wouldn't be in her position?"

My father nodded slowly in agreement, "Maybe they should both move in here. Shannon's been struggling since Jack died so it will take the weight off her."

I smiled weakly, "Jason would love that."

My dad snorted, "Yeah he would. How was Bradley?"

"Not great," I replied, "He's stable and should be alright but just seeing him lying there like that with a tube down his throat and drowned by wires...." I inhaled deeply, "It wasn't pretty."

"He'll be ok kiddo. He's strong," my father replied reassuringly.

At that moment my mother returned and perched herself on my fathers lap. She rested her head on his shoulder and he wrapped his arm around her waist.

"She is asleep. She barely had enough energy to shower, bless her," my mother told us, "Ella is laying down too after the shock of this."

"You should too Alex," my father insisted.

"No! I need to be up in case Shannon wakes up and needs something," she replied.

"Mum go lay down. I'll take care of Shannon," I bargained, "you need to rest as you are carrying."

She sighed heavily, "I'm not a frigging porcelain doll you know."

"No, your my wife," my father replied, "I'm protecting you!"

My mother rolled her eyes and kissed my father quickly before getting off his lap with a stroke to his thinning golden hair. She wandered out and we heard her go up the stairs. My fathers smile never left. I rolled my eyes at his predictability.

"Go be with her!" I sighed.

"What?" My father replied, blushing.

"Dad you are too predictable! I know you want to go upstairs with her," I smiled.