Chapter 5 - Ella

I paced around our flat. Ever since dad had retired I'd been left to run the family charity, but, after not even a month, there were hitches in the road. We were expanding our operation to America after an anonymous sponsor donated a substantial amount with the condition that we extent to America. What seemed like an amazing opportunity was quickly transforming into a nightmare as we fell behind schedule after spending a lot. After all, we were afloat only because of donations and a little bit of my mother's money from her book sales and nothing else. Our main office was the spare bedroom in the flat, so I was financially dependent on Zac. I hated being so but it was either get a job or run the charity; Zac had insisted on me running the charity.

"Hello baby."

I felt Zac's arms wrap around me and he gently planted a kiss on my neck and shoulder. I spun around on my heels and looped my arms around his waist before kissing his lips. His beautiful blue eyes shone in the sunlight and his coal black hair was soft to the touch.

"I missed you last night!" I moaned.

"I know," he groaned, "But it was worth it. The child is going to make a full recovery."

"Another satisfied patient then, Doctor Oaks," I murmured, kissing his lips with quickly feathery kisses.

"Yes Mrs Oaks," he replied.

"Mrs?" I smiled.

"Soon to be," Zac replied, "I think it has a good ring to it."

I laughed, "Can we have a serious talk now?"

"Sure."

Zac sat down into the desk chair and I sat on his lap. He wrapped his arm around my waist and I rested my head on his shoulder. He planted a kiss on the top of my head.

"You know that negativity is bad for the baby," Zac murmured.

I snorted, "Sorry."

"Don't be sorry, just tell me what's wrong," he replied, nuzzling my hair.

"Three things really," I told him, "I'm worried about Bradley as there is still no update on the certainty of his condition. Second thing being the over seas project..."

"Which David will happily lean a hand with," he reminded me.

"But that's not the point!" I responded, "He's retired so should have to be dragged back into work!"

"He doesn't mind, baby," Zac pointed out, "he's your father! He would do anything for you."

I smiled, "I know but dad should be able to relax and focus on mum. Growing up, they never really had time just the two of them."

"You say when you have three siblings and another on the way," Zac laughed.

I rolled my eyes at him, "you know what I mean!"

"I know. You shouldn't worry about them though," My fiancé whispered, "They are old enough to do that for themselves and I know for a fact that they would say the same thing."

"I know," I sighed.

"Anyway, what was the third problem?" Zac asked.

"Lance."

"What about him?"

"He hasn't come home yet."

"Where is he?"

"I don't know. Nor do mum and dad."

"Jesus!" Zac cursed.

"You and him get on really well. Did he say anything to you about going anywhere?" I begged.

"I haven't spoken to him since yesterday and he didn't say anything then," Zac replied, "Why didn't you call me at work?"

"I would of but I knew you were in surgery," I answered, "Plus Rory only called fifteen minutes ago."

"El!" Zac whined, "You should of called. I do have hands-free in the car."

"I know but Lance is probably out being a teenage boy. He'll be home soon and boy do I feel sorry for him when he is," I exclaimed.

"Why?" Zac questioned.

"Are you kidding me?" I laughed, "mum will go berserk from fear and worry. His arse will be grounded for eternity."

Zac laughed, "True. I only got on the wrong side of your mum once. Never again."

When were we sixteen and officially started dating, we had gone out and used fake IDs to get drunk. When we got back to my parents house at three the next morning, my mother had helped sober us up. Once we were sobered up, she went berserk. She screamed at us and threatened us and we both ended up grounded for a year. The worst part was when she made breakfast. She cooked a proper full English breakfast and we couldn't stop throwing up. When we were less hungover, my mother made us clean out the toilets until you could literally see your reflection. My mother was a fairly tolerant woman, but, fucking hell, did you know when you had done wrong.

I shuddered at the memory. I had never seen my parents so furious. In my parents household, anger was very rarely used because disappointment was a much worse punishment. You could register the disappointment long after the act was forgiven. That was what normally kept us in check.

"It will probably do him some good though," Zac said finally, "That boy could get away with murder."

I half smiled, "That's true."

"It's your parents I feel sorry for," Zac continued.

"Why?" I asked.

"Well what with Bradley in God knows what condition, my parents being out of town and your mum being pregnant as well as facing the deadline for her book," he said, "That's a lot. Even for them."

"Now you see why I don't want to bother them about this overseas problem," I exclaimed.

Zac laughed, "Yeah I do."

At that moment his phone started buzzing in his pocket. I sighed and he shot me an apologetic look. I stepped off his lap and allowed him to go into the next room to talk on the phone. He had followed his mother's footsteps and gone into the medicine and unfortunately, due to his skill, he was often called in on unexpected occasions. I was so proud of him for doing so well but there were times when he needed to learn to say no as I needed him as much as his patients did. I know it's selfish but now I understood my mother's position when my father had to go away on business.

"I'm sorry..." Zac trailed off.

I smiled weakly, "Go! You've got lives to save."

"But we were going to have a night together to celebrate our engagement," Zac replied, knowing my disappointment.

"We'll celebrate tomorrow," I replied.

"You sure?" He asked.

I nodded, "love you!"

"I love you more!" Zac replied.

He kissed me once and left the flat. I was alone once again. I sighed. I picked up my keys. Aurora will know what to do to cheer me up.