Chapter 26 - Alex

I have to tell the kids everything!

"God! Mum are you ok?"

Lance, Aurora and Jason finally arrived and embraced me in a hug. I sobbed silently into Lance's shoulder. I then sank back into my seat with Aurora and Ella either side of me. She had come around about three minutes ago after taking a bad turn.

I sighed, "I need to tell you all something!"

"What's going on mum?" Jason asked. He clutched Bradley's hand.

"Your dad....your dad..." I sighed, "Your dad's cancer came back."

"What do you mean came back?" Rory asked.

"He was diagnosed with liver cancer a few weeks after we lost Lucy," I explained, "He got a transplant fairly quickly when your grandfather died but it's come back...."

"But he had a transplant it couldn't come back!" The woman who came in with Lance said, "Sorry! I'm Martha. I'm Lance's fiancée."

"On any other day I would squeal with happiness," I smiled, "But yeah you're right. He has leukaemia now."

"Why didn't you tell us sooner?" Ella asked.

"Your father wouldn't let me," I replied, "He's too proud. He didn't want you to pity him. He didn't want you to see.....to see him as weak."

"Oh god!" Rory whispered, "We would never see him as that."

"I had bruises to prove he wasn't!" Lance laughed.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you...." I trailed off.

"You don't have to apologise," Aurora whispered softly.

I leaned over crying. It was Lance's birthday and we were all sitting in here waiting for news whether they would have a father of not. My twenty week old baby kicked my stomach by my stroking did nothing. He was calmed only by his father.

"So your engaged now Lance?" I murmured finally.

"I wasn't gonna let my girl and my child run away," Lance replied. Martha nudged him, "My mum knows Martha, don't worry!"

"I'm pregnant," Rory announced.

I snorted, "Haven't you kids heard of condoms?"

"You can talk!" Jace laughed.

I laughed, "It's true! And I take it that you are the father Luke?"

"Yeah," he blushed.

"Don't tell me you two are engaged also!" I laughed.

"No, not yet," Luke replied.

I nodded slowly. I sniffed and tried to swallow my tears as I looked down at my own rings. A constant reminder of David. My heart ached and shattered at the thought that he might not walk out of here today. The thought that I would go alone to our children's weddings and be alone at the birth of our child. The thought that he would never see his grandchildren. The thought that I would celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary alone.

Rory squeezed me hand, "Dad's strong! You married a fighter! He'll be more than ok. He'll go and run the next London marathon."

"I hope you're right Aurora! I hope you're right!" I mumbled.

"I know this isn't the best time..." She murmured, "But do you think we can talk in private?"

"Of course," I replied.

We both walked just outside the building, I pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my pocket I lit one up. I hadn't smoked in over twenty years but really felt the need to today. Aurora stood uncomfortably next to me. I could tell what she was going to say wasn't going to be good.