Chapter 21 - Ella

"Baby! I'm home!" Zac called through the house.

"In the kitchen!" I shouted back.

I heard him walking towards the kitchen where I was standing. He had left his shoes and bag at the door. Mine were in front of me. I rubbed my stomach slowly. I had never been more scared than I was right then. He stood in the doorway and took one look at me and my bags.

"Are you going somewhere?" He asked.

"Yes," I chocked.

"I thought your dad sorted things out with the building work?" He replied.

"He did," I murmured.

"Then why are your bags packed?" He breathed. He knew the answer.

"I'm leaving. Not forever!" I added hastily, "Just for a little bit until you appreciate me and your baby more."

"What are you talking about?" He asked, shocked, "I love you and the baby. You are my world!"

"No Zac! Your job is your world," I shot back.

"My job?" He breathed, taken back.

"It has been weeks since we got engaged and we haven't even celebrated it yet! I haven't seen you in weeks..." I cried. Tears streamed down my cheeks, "You missed my first scan."

"What!" He cried. He ran towards me and held me in his arms, "Why didn't you tell me you had a scan?"

"It's not something you say over the phone Zac!" I cried.

He sighed, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry you feel this way! Im such as ass!"

"You're aren't though!" I sniffed, "And that is what is making this decision so hard. I want to be with you!"

"Then don't go!" He insisted.

"I have to!" I whispered.

We stood like that and let the time pass us by. We were two people in love and we were two people happy to be starting a family. It's just that I couldn't do it all by myself. I was leaving him not to break his heart or to move on. Nothing like that! I was leaving this house for a few days to get out of the place that was choking me to death. I wanted to be away from everything to think about what I wanted from our relationship and to give him time in my shoes. I wanted him to experience missing someone desperately. He probably did miss me when was working, but he didn't know what it felt like to be choked by this. That's what I wanted out of this. We needed time apart so we could work better together.

"I'm not doing this because I don't love you," I murmured, "I'm doing this because I do!"

"Why are you doing this?" He pleaded.

"I need to get away from here!" I cried, "I haven't slept on days and I've been so tense and you are barely home and and...." I breathed to calm down, "I need time to relax. I need time to myself."

"How long will you be gone?" He asked. I could hear the tears he was fighting back.

"A week," I replied.

"Can I come see you?" He asked.

"Maybe. Hopefully!" I replied, "It depends on if I'm able to relax."

He kissed the top of my head, "I love you Ella!"

"I know you do! And I know that you know that I love you!" I responded.

"I do know that!" He sobbed.

He squeezed me tighter. He couldn't fight back his tears any longer either. I felt them drop onto my scalp, which only made me cry harder. I sobbed into his jumper, staining it was my mascara. I forced myself to stop and pull off him.