Chapter 6

The four of us go back to Ahren and Camille's hotel room. They pack up.

"I hope she has a speedy recovery," Camille says in French.

"Thanks," I reply,"oh, wait, can I use your bathroom? I kinda need to change and wash up. I'd rather not sit in a plane for hours covered in mud."

"Of course!" she says.

"Thank you," I say.

I walk into the bathroom and turn the sink for washing hair on. I rinse my hair out and dry it. I pull clothes out of the bag I had been carrying around and change. Then I walk out of the bathroom and join, well, my family.

"Okay. Are you packed up or do you need more time?" I ask Ahren and Camille.

"Just a little more time," Camille replies.

Kaden and I would be helping them, but it would be rude to go through their personal belongings when they're on their honeymoon.

"Sorry again for interrupting your vacation," Kaden says.

"Family comes before fun," Camille says.

"Ahren, your phone's buzzing again. It could be an emergency," I say.

Ahren picks up his phone. "Eady again, but I can't let her know where exactly we are. She'd probably trace the number and track us down."

"She might, actually. You didn't see her when she went to the infirmary. She looked like a broken porcelain doll," Kaden tells him.

Ahren looks stricken at the thought of his twin as a fragile doll.

"If it makes you feel better, she'll probably cheer up a bit when you come back," I say.

"I wish I could just fix everything."

"Unfortunately, you can't. Each of us can only fix a portion of this mess. We need to fix it together, as a family," I reply.

"Also, how does Eady know your phone number? Didn't you leave your phone at home?" Kaden questions.

"This was my secret phone. Remember how Eady and I used to sneak around the castle looking for hiding spots? This was how we contacted each other. I couldn't bring myself to leave it behind," Ahren says.

"Kind of like my first épée. It's much too small for me now, but I still keep it in my room. It has sentimental value," I say.

"I keep my first broadsword. It was the hardest for me to master, so I kept mine as a symbol of success," Kaden adds.

"I wish I had kept something like you guys. Being an heir left barely any time for fun. I had to prepare to take the throne," Camille muses sadly.

I give her a hug. "Another reason why you and Eady are so alike. You didn't get to fully enjoy your royal lives."

Author's Note:

Aww, poor Camille. 😢

-Nom Nom