Chapter 23

"You're practically the living image of your mother twenty years ago," Dad says, since he was the one standing behind me.

"Hello, King Maxon," Emilia pipes up.

"Marlee?!?! What?" Dad exclaims, shocked.

"No... Emilia. We're going to the town in disguise," I reply.

"Wow. Where are Arthur and Kaden?" Dad asks.

"Here!" Kaden says, appearing with Arthur behind Dad.

"Whoa, what the...?" Dad says when he sees them.

"Kaden, why didn't you--" I start before realizing that "Kaden" is several inches taller than he usually is, "You're not Kaden, are you?"

"Nope."

"Very funny, Arthur. I'm guessing Kaden is supposed to be you."

"Yup."

"You know Arthur's eyes are amber, not green, right?" I ask Kaden.

"We ran out of amber, so I used green," he replies.

"And now, you look like a young General Leger, and Arthur looks like me from my Selection days," Dad comments.

"Whoa," we all say in unison.

"Hmm, let's see the others' reaction to their doppelgängers," Dad says, and motions for us to go outside, "Let's go."

"Won't it be a little awkward to walk around with us looking like your past selves?" I ask Dad.

"Not in the least," he replies.

"Wait!" I say, and turn around to change my color contacts to a lighter shade of blue. I find a sky blue color and put it in. "Better."

We all walk to the Women's Room, where Mom, Queen Nicoletta, and Miss Marlee are having tea and General Leger is showing the newest guards around. When they see us, General Leger almost drops his clipboard, and Mom, Miss Marlee, and Queen Nicoletta look like they are going to spit out their tea.

"What?!"

"Quite the coincidence, actually. These four were going out to the town in disguise, and they ended up like this. The boys tried to switch places, but Kaden couldn't find Arthur's eye color, and put green in instead," Dad explains.

"Okay, we showed them. Can we go sightseeing now?" Kaden asks, clearly uncomfortable.

"Alright," Dad replies.

"Okay, let's go," Emilia says, eager to see the province.

"Wait!" Dad says, "Try to bring something to defend yourself with, though. With all of the recent attacks, it's good to be on the safe side. Besides, Celeste and Kaden, you have combat experience, anyways, and Arthur should be fine, too, since the three of you kept going to the artillery range last time they were here."

"Umm, okay...?" Arthur says.

"We have several pistols you can borrow that are small enough to conceal," General Leger says.

"What about armor?" Queen Nicoletta asks.

"We won't necessarily need it, anyways, and besides, people would figure out who we were in a heartbeat if we wore armor," Arthur replies.

"Let's go!" Emilia says.

"Wow, Ems, you're really touristy today," I comment, grabbing one of the pistols General Leger was handing us.

"Why, thank you," Emilia replies, grabbing one for herself.

Author's Note

      Arthur and Celeste dressed up like Maxon and America. Hint hint, wink wink.

-Nom Nom