Chapter Ten

"Can you believe the nerve of that man! How dare he? And he had the audacity to say he was involved in another brawl! And when I ask with whom, he thinks he could stay mum." Annabelle fumed as she paced Katherine's chambers.

Katherine smiled weakly, not knowing how to respond. After all, Lord Dracmore had gotten involved in a fray because of her. Annabelle did not seem too pleased with her lover's tendency to attract injuries. Although Katherine supposed she had every right to be angry.

"I should kill him myself! How dare he! Going around and hurting himself as if it's perfectly acceptable. A worthy cause, he had said. A loss at cards is a worthy cause according to that berk." Annabelle ranted.

Katherine squirmed. Mayhap she should inform Lady Davidson that Lord Dracmore had in fact battled for her honor? He was angry when Abbot had insulted her, but he was blinded by rage when Abbot had dared to take Annabelle's name. Something told Katherine that would only worsen matters, so she decided to stay quiet and listen.

"And then Albert! That man is all about propriety and then he goes and fills Abbot's trunks with blood."

"The butler, Albert?" Katherine questioned in astonishment. The man was kind, but a stickler for decorum and rules. If he went to the extent of despoiling the lord's propriety, he must care for Annabelle a great deal. Katherine tried to squash the petty ripple of emotion in her chest. How would it feel to have someone care for her in such a manner? These people were indeed blessed.

"Aye. No doubt Jonathan had a hand in it. Albert becomes soft when it concerns Jonathan." Annabelle froze as a thought struck her.

"Consarn it! Why didn't I go to that git?"

"What git?" Katherine furred her brows in confusion. The lady had a colorful vocabulary.

"Jonathan. He would know why Edward entertained a brawl, and I shall make him tell me the truth." Annabelle marched out the room before returning not a second later.

"You shall accompany me."

"Me?" Katherine squealed.

"Yes, you, Katherine." Annabelle rolled her eyes before pulling her new found friend in tow.

"When I get my hands on him..." Annabelle muttered angrily. Katherine was not certain who she was talking about, but she was glad she was not on the receiving end of the lady's ire.

***

"Are you certain then?"

"Why so many questions? I thought this is what you wanted." Jonathan taunted.

Albert could be seen frowning from the corner of the room, silently reprimanding Jonathan with a glare.

Jonathan rolled his eyes but obeyed the silent order nevertheless. The old geezer would only make his head hurt later.

Lord Rivers frowned, toying with the feather upon his desk. His study was his sanctuary, a safe haven, never failing to instantly calm him. But it seemed even the walls of his study quaked in the presence of his son. When had he grown into a young man? And why couldn't he be that little boy once more?

"Tis a wee soon, is it not? You have only known the guests for barely a week's time."

"Aye, twas enough time for me to see who hid their true colors and who did not." Jonathan answered with a shrug. He stood with his arms crossed, his feet shoulder width apart.

"Very well. Would you like me to speak to her father and draw up the contract?" Lord Rivers offered, a twinge of hope coated his words.

"No need. I shall have Albert draw up the contract. You need not bother yourself with such tedious tasks. Regarding her father, I shall speak to him now."