Chapter 22

"I told ye I need more information on her ladyship." Jane hissed as she pretended to wipe the statues which rested in the great hall.

  "You can not possibly believe what she has to say." Henry answered through gritted teeth as he pretended to polish the statue next to Jane's. What Jane did not understand was that Leslie was extremely cunning.

  "Nay, ye daft soul. I need to see what else she had to say about her ladyship so we may prepare. Her kind don't freely give information unless they be planning something bigger." Jane informed him mattarfactly. She was beyond annoyed at his persistence. He need not know what she did at every given moment. The annoying git.

  "Be careful." Henry took his things as he prepared to head towards the door, and on his way to retrieve the beasts.

"I'm always careful." Jane mumbled to no one in particular. She was a tad bit inquisitive, nothing more.

    Jane took her rags and bucket of water to the kitchens. Where could she "run into" Leslie without it seeming planned? What to do?

It seemed her prayers were answered. Or perhaps not.

"Leslie!" Jane called out excitedly as she saw the maid quickly walking towards the gardens. She ran towards her.

Leslie scowled impatiently. "I must be on my way. I have to speak to my ladyship."

Leslie turned and  ran out the door.

Jane stared at her retrieving form. What could be so important?

***

"Open it, m'lady." Tiny urged as she danced on the balls of her feet. She was extremely excited. She adored presents. They were such a sweet delight. Given from one heart to the other. A permanent reminder of sorts for the other person. Oh! How she loved gifts.

  "Alright." Katherine smiled politely. She looked at the box as she wondered what it would contain. She needed to speak to the Lout on being proper. 
   Walking over to the bed, Katherine prettily took a seat, the box in her lap. She removed the top portion and let out a soft gasp, barely audible to even her own hears.

  "Oh, my lady! 'Tis lovely." Tiny swooned. She wished someone fawned over her in such a manner. Some day...

   "Aye." Katherine whispered as she lifted the soft material. It was exquisite. Blush pink in color, it would compliment Katherine prettily.

  "Jonathan has an eye for beauty." Annabelle smiled cheekily by her place in front of the mirror, eyes still closed.

"Oh! I forgot about ye, my lady." Tiny laughed as she quickly hurried to Annabelle. "Now where were we?"

  "You were going to allow me to see myself."

  "Nonsense, m'lady. I'm strange, not daft." Tiny laughed.

   She looked through her stuff. Mayhap some rouge on her lips would look pretty. Perhaps a bit too bold. Tiny thought to herself. What to do?

   "M'lady, how would ye like some rouge on your lips?" Tiny fingered the small vile she had.

  "Nay, Tiny. Mayhap a dusty rose if you have."

   "Aye. I crushed pink rose petals myself for that one." Tiny rummaged through her bag. Once she found the small container containing the mixture she took it out and gently applied some to Annabelle's lips.

  "Kohl in ye eyes?"

  "Oh aye." Annabelle lit up with excitement. She loved kohl.

  "But m'-"