Chapter 2

Zayn Malik drove in a daze. He didn't know what he was about to get himself into but he knew there was trouble on the way. He had received a call from Harry around an hour ago asking him to meet him and the others at the old bungalow as soon as possible. Stopped in traffic Zayn risked it to check his phone for messages. He hadn't realized how much he was shaking until then. The screen was moving too fast for anything to make sense.

Zayn tried to regulate his breathing. He saw a small coffee shop close by and decided that he might as well stop and buy himself and the boys a little snack. Zayn walked up to the counter in a daze and ordered a large coffee for himself as well as a Yorkshire Tea for Louis, a hot chocolate for Harry and an iced latte for Liam. As he grabbed his drinks the name of the girl working the counter caught his eye

'Xochilt. What a pretty name' he said. The girl looked up and smiled.

'Thank you, it's Aztech for flower.' Xochilt replied.

'I'm so embarassed, though.. Am I pronouncing it right?'

'It's pronounced Zo-Chill but honestly, you can call me Zoe.'

'I'd rather Xochilt. It suits you perfectly. Now I normally don't do this honey but can I ask you something?'

'Anything.'

'Well, I'm not sure if you were ever a fan of One Direction but I'm Zayn, I used to be in the band. Anyways, it doesn't really give me much of an opportunity to get out. Whenever I see someone as pretty as you I have to say something. So, would you be interested in seeing a movie some time?'

'I'd love to'

'Now you have an American accent, flower. Mind if I ask why?'

'Well I'm from the US but I took this year off from university to study worldwide cuisine.'

'Darling if you were the one who made these cookies, you don't need the education. They're perfect.'

Xochilt blushed and thanked Zayn. Zayn took down her number and realized his phone had 9 missed calls and 23 unopened texts. 'Honey I'm sorry but I have to leave.. I'll text you later if that's alright?'

'Okay, goodbye Zayn!'

Zayn walked out of the coffeeshop, tears welling up in his eyes. He was going to meet the boys he had once shared everything with yet no longer knew. He knew it was necessary for Niall's well-being yet he never imagined the dire situation.

Zayn could feel something in his stomach, an ache deep down. There had always been something about that Irish boy that drove him crazy. But a good kind of crazy, a happy one. He had always gotten breathless after every conversation, every hug. He knew that no matter what he did, nothing could prepare him for the months to come.