Tears and Shrieks ~ Chapter 8

Your POV

"You know, I've heard a lot about you." I said to Zane. I could see his slight smile grow just a little bit after I said that. "Yeah?" He replied. We were sitting on the couch, waiting for Garroth to get back. He ran back to his apartment to grab some stuff. I'm a bit worried, what if his father woke up?

"Yeah. Garroth really cares about you. A lot." I say gently, and Zane's smile becomes even broader. "I know. He's very protective, but.. I know he doesn't want me getting hurt.." He replied. He has eyes kind of like Garroth, but aren't as.. how do I put it.. striking. His eyes are just blue. Maybe they're the same, and I just don't see it that way. "Are you worried about Garroth? That father woke up, I mean?" He asked with big blue eyes. I slightly smiled. "Concerned? Yes. Worried? No. Your brother is strong." I said reassuringly. Although, the truth is, I'm very worried. "I know he is." He replied softly. He looked pained. "You know.. Garroth loves you. He loves you so much, and he is very glad you were born." I said, rubbing his back. He was thinking about what happened with.. him. Suddenly, the tears he must have been fighting leaked. I put my arm around him, hugging him tight.

"I-It's all m-m-my fault!" He sobbed. "Shh.. it's okay..." I whispered. He continued to bawl into my shoulder. He was a lot smaller then me. "It's not your fault at all.. and Garroth loves you still.. he's so very happy to have you.." I whispered, hugging him tightly.
"He loves you more then you'll ever know.." 
Zane slightly nodded, but I could tell he was unconvinced.

Suddenly, the door knob turned and Garroth walked in, and as he saw Zane he rushed over here. Garroth hugged him, very tight. "I know.. it's not your fault.. I love you, Zane.." Garroth says to Zane, who was curled up next to him. "It's all my fault.. she died because of me.." Zane murmured. "No. It's not your fault. Get some rest, I brought you pajamas." Garroth said, handing him a bundle of clothes. Zane nodded, and got up and went into the bathroom. "He can sleep on the couch. But um.. I know it's weird but, that would uh mean.. that you have to sleep in my room.. I'll take the floor." I said awkwardly. "No, you've been too kind already. I'll take the floor."

I finally gave in and allowed him to sleep on the floor. I wore a fox onesie and he wore a tank-top and shorts. I couldn't help but notice how broad his shoulders were.. how defined his muscles were.. I curled up on my bed as always, and he stretched out on his bundle of blankets. My eyelids imediately got heavy and I dozed off.

"DAD! NO!"

Bang.

"DAD! HELP! SOMEBODY HELP! PLEASE! DAD!"

His pained smile sent a jolt through my heart.

I cried, and shrieked, and cried. I don't know how I have such a large supply of tears.

"(f/n!) (f/n)!"

I slowly awake to the brilliantly blue eyes. I could feel the dampness on my cheeks and pillow. Garroth looked relieved. 

I checked the clock. Earlier than usual, because the rest got cut off. "Y-You were screaming, shrieking. You were absolutely bawling! What h-happened?" He asked, and I noticed the hint of terror in his eyes. "I have t-the same nightmare e-every n-n-night.." I whispered, my voice was hoarse from shouting. "Oh.. Okay.. your okay.." He said, pushing back a strand of (h/c) hair. I wiped a tear from my face. "Don't w-worry about me." I said. He nodded, and forced a small smile. "Okay."

He turned to settle back down on his make-shift bed, when without thinking, I let one word escape my lips. "Wait". He turned. "C-Can you s-s-stay here? W-With me?" I asked. He nodded, and got into bed with me. I clung onto him, shaking, and he put his strong arms over me like a blanket. "Do you want to talk about it?" He asked gently. I shook my head. He nodded. "Actually.. maybe I need to talk about it." I said, and he looked at me with those trusting, warm eyes. 

"M-My dad.. I relive.. he was killed.. shot.. in front of me. I called to him, and.. I saw the life leave his eyes.. and I relive that moment like a scene from a movie.. every night.. I scream and cry and shriek.. but nobody came to help me.. by the time someone came, it was too late.. he.. was.. he was d-dead.." I whisper, and Garroth hugged me. Tight.

I wrapped my arms around his neck, and silently cried into his shoulder. "I'm sorry.. I'm so sorry.. at least he got to spend his last moments with the most beautiful, loving girl he knew.." He whispered, and through the salty tears, I blushed. "You need to accept that this is the scariest moment you've ever had. That you can't change the past. That you can't change what happened." He hugged me tighter. "You need to slay your demons." He whispered. (Okay, major reference. Don't worry, she won't kill anybody. PLEASE TELL ME SOMEONE KNOWS THE REFERENCE. PLEASE.) I try a weak smile, but it comes out a bit distorted.

"I don't know how, but I will.." I whispered. We fell asleep.

Dream

My eyes flutter open, but I wasn't with Garroth. I wasn't even in my bed. I was on the swinging bench. I frowned, something was missing. Dad. I remember being afraid to get on here when I was little. and he hugged me tight and lifted me on here. I've never been on it without him. But suddenly, a voice from behind me interrupts my thoughts.

"Are you still afraid to be on there?" It said. I smiled, a sincere, wide smiled. The ground faded, and we were on the bench in the clouds. "Daddy.." I whispered, and I ran into his arms. He hugged me, like he used to. I smiled up at him. "Where are we?" I whispered. "I don't know." He replied, and his smile shrank. "But I know that I'm going to stay here, but you won't." He said, combing my hair with his fingers. "Oh.. this must be heaven, huh?" I asked, surprised at the lack of crying. "This isn't real, is it?" He shakes his head. "Oh.." Is all I can say. All I need to say. "Garroth is right, you know. at least I spent the last few moments of my life with the most beautiful, loyal, loving girl I knew." He smiled, rubbing circles on my back like he did when I used to get scared or sad. I felt so comfortable, I missed this so much.

"Will you visit me again?" I asked, slightly hopeful. "Every night. You've slayed your demons, kiddo."