Who Dares To Live Forever? ~ Chapter 29

Your POV

Tears trickled down my blotchy face; slowly at first, gaining speed with every painful heartbeat. Seeing Aphmau like this- it's like seeing a friend die. It is seeing a friend die.

Die.

Die is a very strong word. But the thing is, there is no less powerful word to use in place of it. So you have to use it. You have to die. It's a cycle, death is part of life, blah blah blah. But nobody, nobody, should die at such an age. For such and awful cause. Chances are, Aph won't survive this time. She escaped once, now they've put on better restraints. Now, she won't escape.

I clung onto Garroth, burying my face into his shirt. I didn't want to see this. I don't want to see this. He instinctively put a firm arm over me.I peeked out once more at my beautiful friend. "(f-f/n).." She started. Her voice was raspy, and scared. "I'm not scared of death." she said, oddly firm. "I am afraid of you f-" She coughed. "Feeling guilty. Sad. After I die, please... move on.." She finished with a couple of heart-wrenching coughs, each of which seemed to drive an invisible knife deeper and deeper into my chest.

"I-I'll try." I said feebly. We were interrupted by a woman I recognized as Garroth's old nurse opening the door. She was kind of short, with smooth, dark skin. She smiled weakly with sympathy in her eyes as she spoke. "I'm sorry, visiting hours are over." She spoke softly, sadly. I wonder what it's like to work in such an awful place. To put up with little weaklings such as myself weeping. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing came out. Garroth noticed and talked for me. "Okay.. we'll be going now." 

I followed him out after hugging Aph. She hugged back weakly, with a hopeful smile on her face. We left and went home. It was dark out, and the full moon lit up the dark, black sky. "She shouldn't have to die, you know." Garroth said quietly, keeping his eyes on the road. I swallowed hard as I nodded. "She's a great person.." I agreed. He didn't say anything after that. Rain began to patter against the windows, beating the window at fast speeds. How cliche. Tears threatened to spill as they stung the back of my eyes. I couldn't get the image of Aphmau's bright, smiling face on the first day we met. 

"I'm not scared of death. I'm scared of you feeling guilty. Sad. After I die... please. Move on."

Her words played in my mind. Such selfless words. She is braver than any of us. She is fighting a death she cannot win...

and embracing it.

Aphmau's POV (cue thy music)

I swallowed a cough after they left, and salty tears brimmed my eyes. I closed my eyes, breathing in slowly. A small, shiny tear traced town my pale skin. I could feel the presence of life in my body clinging to it's survival. I could feel death's cold, stealthy, hands reaching to my heart, his thin, lifeless fingers tracing circles on it, ready to pounce.

And I was anything but afraid.

I was sad, but accepting. I felt more.. lonely. I felt.. desperate for someone to be here with me. And as if my last request had been read, a door, my door, opened. It groaned in protest, but I heard footsteps in my room. "Oh.. my god." The voice was familiar, deep. It was.. Laurence's. 

My breaths shook, and I slightly turned my head to look at him. His eyes shined with tears, and a look of horror was plastered on his face. "A-Aphmau.." He whispered. I coughed, "L-Laurence.." 

He shuffled over to me, holding my head in the crook of his arm. "Aphmau, please, please, please.." He stopped as if to think. "Don't leave me." I let the corners of my lips turn up. "I am not leaving.. I am going with the angel." I said. "The... the angel?" Laurence asked with confusion and wonder in his voice. "The angel of death." I whispered. He began leaning closer to me, his hand lifting up my back. I turned my head left and closed my eyes.

The smell of ocean and sand enveloped me. One of his hands was under my back, lifting me up to reach his lips. The other was supporting the back of my head. As he lifted me up slightly more, it was like he was moving me out of death's grasp. I placed my arms around his neck, running my fingers through his hair. I broke the kiss. "It's my time.." 

"But it's not mine," he replied in my ear, before pressing his lips against me once more. I didn't fight it; I allowed it. One tear slipped out from under my eye lid, and dripped down my face. Death had stopped trying..

Stopped reaching.

"Thank you." I whispered.
"For what?"
"For making death let go."

Oh... my.... Irene.

What just happened?

What have my fingers used a simple set of 26 letters and 10 numbers to create?

Guys...

The feels.

I hope you enjoyed, I'll.. *sniff*

I'll see you in the next chapter..

Song: Who wants to live forever: By: Queen

Fun fact that will make the feels go haywire: Freddie Mercury (lead singer of Queen) wrote this song on his way back from being diagnosed with AIDS. 

Yeah.

This chapter is dedicated to the determination and inspirational story of Freddie Mercury, one of the world's greatest role models.