Chapter 1

Anger. And a lot of pain. That's all I felt when Dimitri told me he had accepted Tasha's offer to become her guardian and start a family, how could he just leave after we spent an amazing night in the cabin together? I thought he loved me. But I guess I was wrong.

The worst bit about it was that he didn't even have the guts to tell me himself, I got a letter! A stupid letter that was full of lies.

Dear Rose,

I'm sorry to say but I'm leaving. I have decided to accept Tasha's offer to leave, it's the best for both of us. I get to start a family, something I could never do if I stayed. And you get to have the life you were destined to have, I don't want to hold  you back from anything you could achieve.

We weren't meant to be together, you cannot provide me with the family I would like to have some time in the future.

I'm sorry Rose, you will always have a place on my heart.

Dimitri 

I saw the letter first when I woke up from sleeping, it was pushed under my door on the floor, as soon as I read it I fell back on the bed. I cried all day and wouldn't come out until 3 days later. Not even Lissa could get me out of my room, I pined for Dimitri to come back, but he never did.

It was 3 weeks after that I found out I was pregnant, I was sick each morning until one day Lissa shoved a pregnancy test in my hand, I had laughed at her first as I had only been with another dhampir and we all know that's impossible. Or so I thought because apparently because I'm shadow kissed it alters the way my genes are and doesn't restrict who I can have children with. It was ironic really, Dimitri had left because I couldn't give him a family, when really I was carrying his child. At first I hated him and despised Tasha, she had taken away the one person I thought I would be together with for the rest of my life.

It was sad really, Dimitri hadn't just left me, he had left our child. Our child would grow up fatherless and would never no who his or her father was, but i was Rose Hathaway I didn't need a man.