Seventeen

-_-_-_-Rayne's POV-_-_-_-

The restaurant was something out of a movie. The only lighting was coming from the glass chandeliers, that hung a few feet apart and lined the ceiling. The walls were stone looking, and cream colored, and the floor was a dark wood. Many green plants were placed strategically, giving the place an exotic look and feel. Waiters and hostesses were either wearing dark suits or dresses, and I was relieved to see that there were people here even more dressed up than me. 

Kim, however, stood out like sore thumb. Except, well... Even I had to admit that she looked beautiful. Her dress was a white, floor length mermaid dress, and every piece of jewelry she had was full of diamonds. Dad was only an accountant, and I wasn't even sure if Kim worked, so I have no clue how they could afford that outfit alone. Her straight black hair was in a sleek ponytail, and Mom and I had spent several minutes talking about how impossible she was. Honestly, a ponytail? If either of us had tried that, we would end up looking like idiots. 

But, here she was, looking like a Barbie goddess. 

Dad was in a James Bond tuxedo, bow tie and all. The two looked like a couple in a bridal magazine, and at that thought, I felt a bit sick. 

I sighed, sipping out of my water glass, and Peter smirked beside me. "Aren't you always telling me to be nice?" he asked softly, careful so that none of the adults would hear. 

"This is completely different," I defended, smiling back. Noticing a bit of Spiderman's suit poking out, I glanced around before quickly fixing it. 

"So, Rayne, how are you liking New York?" Kim suddenly asked from across the table. 

"You ready to move back with us, yet?" Dad asked too, and I resisted the urge to glare. 

I felt Peter's stare on me, and avoided looking at him. "No, I like it here. A lot better than Arizona." 

Kim smiled. "Well, with friends like yours, why would you want to leave? I would stay too." 

I faked a smile, and took another sip of my water. When was the food supposed to get here? 

Kim sighed, and looked at me sorrowfully. "I think I owe you something," she confessed, and I raised my eyebrow. 

"What do you mean?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Well, since you're not doing the internship at the lab anymore, I suppose it's safe to tell you..." She trailed off, and I almost choked. 

"I didn't tell you guys about that," I stated, glancing at Mom, who looked just as confused as I was. "How did you know?" 

"Well, darling, you have the right to know." 

"Right to know what?" I asked, and Peter took my hand underneath the table. 

"Dear, that was my lab you were working at," she said, grinning. 

I blinked. "No, seriously, what do I have the right to know?" 

"Really, I'm surprised you didn't realise sooner," she sighed, smiling, and a cold shiver went down the back of my neck. "Stacy is my maiden name, you know. And, yes, I do look a bit different without my make up, hair and lab coat on, but honestly, not that different." 

I was speechless. How did I not notice earlier? With closer inspection, yes, Kim did resemble Dr. Stacy, but how could I have been so stupid? 

"I feel so much better now that that's cleared up," Kim sighed. "Don't you?"