Fifteen

-_-_-_-Rayne's POV-_-_-_-        

The woman was truly terrifying. 

I could see lightning striking in her eyes, and the hairs on the back of my neck rose. Although I knew for a fact that I had never met this woman, she seemed... familiar. Like I should know her, but I just couldn't put my finger on who exactly she was. 

"Tell me where she is!" she screeched, and a lightning bolt struck a little too close for comfort. 

"Listen lady-" 

"Tempest," she spat. 

"Right, Tempest," Peter sighed, stepping forward. "I don't don't know why you need this Rayne girl, but know this: it is now my responsibility to make sure she's safe from you - and everyone else for that matter." 

"I will find her," Tempest hissed, and with a whirl of wind, and a clap of thunder, she was gone. 

My knees trembled, and Peter had to help me stand. "Who is she?" I murmured. 

Peter was silent, as he helped me sit down. He sat down next to me, at the edge of the building, our feet dangling. 

"What does she want?" I murmured to myself, in shock. 

Peter pulled off his mask, and ruffled his hair. "I don't know," he growled, obviously frustrated. "But I told you I would figure it out, and I will." 

I pulled my mask off too, and my red hair cascaded down my back. I leaned against Peter for support, as I was starting to get dizzy. The last thing I wanted was to fall off the building. 

"I think that was a little too much excitement for one day," Peter decided, stroking my hair. "Do you wanna head back?"

I didn't answer, not wanting to move. Instead, I put my head on his shoulder, and closed my eyes. I heard him chuckle, and felt him start to stand up. I groaned as he took my hands, and yanked me to a standing position next to him, and I pouted. 

"C'mon," he urged. "I bet the bank robbery is on the news by now." He winked before putting his mask back on. "And that's my favorite part." 

I giggled softly before putting my own mask on, and then followed him through the city, back to my apartment. We climbed through my window, making sure no one was around, and Peter pulled on his sweat pants and hoodie over his suit before going into the living room so I could change. I was not walking around with this on under my clothes - I felt all sticky and sweaty in it. 

I put my clothes back on from earlier, and gently folded my new costume, and hid it deep in my sock drawer. I was brushing my hair out, when I heard a knocking on the door down the hall. 

"Peter, can you get that?" I called. It was probably my mom - she had a bad habit of leaving her keys on the kitchen table. 

I heard the door opening, and with my new, sensitive hearing, I heard two voices that made my blood boil. A cold chill went down my spine at the sounds, and I closed my eyes, trying to calm myself - and failed. Abandoning, my hair, I stormed out of my room, and down the hallway, where Peter was standing in front of the door, facing my two least favorite people - Dad and Kim. 

"What are you doing here?" I hissed, and I felt Peter's eyes shift towards me. 

Dad's blue eyes widened at my hostility, but I didn't care. He still had his dark brown hair, and five o'clock shadow that he's had ever since I could remember. He was much taller than me, around the same height as Peter. He wore a suit, which didn't surprise me. He was an accountant, and I doubt he owned anything other than tuxes and pajamas.