Eight

I had stayed out with Spiderman until two in the morning last night. Needless to say, I was very tired at school, and struggled to stay awake in my first hour, which was Government. I glanced at Peter, and saw that he was also struggling to pay attention, and not doze off. Although, judging by the amount of books and homework he had brought home yesterday, I couldn't blame him. 

I, on the other hand, only had myself to blame. Lucky Spiderman didn't have school to deal with, so he was probably sleeping, or relaxing until he got a call for help. Not. Fair. 

"Rayne!" 

I jumped, and looked back up at the teacher. "Yes ma'am?" I asked, mentally scolding myself for zoning out for so long. 

"Ms. Siebert, I've asked you to repeat what I said five times now," Ms. Greene sighed, a look of scorn on her face. 

"I'm sorry, Ms. Greene," I apologized. "I'm afraid I didn't get much sleep last night." 

"Just pay attention," Ms. Greene said, and turned to face the board. 

"Yes ma'am," I said, resting my head in my hand, trying not a close my eyes. 

I glanced at Peter, whose head was about to hit the desk. I stifled my laughter, and reached my foot over to lightly kick the leg of his chair. He didn't budge, so I hit the chair a little harder. His eyes fluttered a little, and slowly opened them. He looked at me, and smiled a little bit, sitting back up, and pulled out a piece of paper and pencil. He wrote something down, then handed it to me when Ms. Greene wasn't looking. 

I'm not the only one falling asleep. What's your excuse? He wrote. 

I had to help Mom unpack some stuff, I wrote. And she insisted that I help her with her new obsession. You? 

Homework. Lot's of it. What's the obsession? 

I grinned, quickly writing down my reply. Spiderman. She witnessed him stopping a robbery, or something and is obsessed with learning more. Which reminds me, we pulled up some pictures of him, and saw that you took one. Explain? 

I like photography, so I have job at the local newspaper, he wrote. 

Before I could write a reply, the bell rang, and we hopped up to gather our stuff. 

"So your mom's obsessed?" Peter chuckled, waiting for me. 

I laughed. "Yeah. And she will be, for another three weeks, then she'll find something else. You should've seen her when Justin Bieber came out. You'd think she was a nine year old." 

Peter laughed, holding open the door for me. "That," he said, "I would pay to see." 

-_-_-_-_- 

At lunch, I met Peter outside at the football field again. I had brought my own lunch today, so I didn't have to take any of Peters. 

"It's only Tuesday," I complained. "This is why I hate school. They days go on forever, and the weeks never end." 

"Calm down," Peter told me, taking a bite of his sandwich. "The day's almost over, and then we can go home and sleep." 

"But I have homework. Homework! On my second day!" I whined. 

Peter rolled his eyes at me, chuckling. "You're such a kid," he said. 

"A wise man once said, that growing old was mandatory, but growing up was optional," I stated. 

"And what wise man was this?" Peter asked, with his eyebrow raised. 

I shrugged. "I don't know. I saw it on a t shirt once."