Apologizing... With a Twist

~Liam's POV~

     “I always say that women should be seen not heard,” Kyle said as he sat back in his chair.

      I resisted the tempting thought of punching him in the face.  This guy was just another jerk dressed up in his daddy’s clothes.  But Nicola liked him…  She liked all of them.  Daisy was sitting on the couch next to me, listening to his every word and getting tenser and tenser by the minute.

      “I believe that opinionated women should be able to share their thoughts,” Ruth said.

      “But you have no knowledge to boast of,” he said to her.

      “Excuse you?” I burst out.

      “What?”

      “You just insulted my sister in front of her face.  I think an apology is in order.”

     “An apology?” He laughed.  I could’ve thrown myself at his throat right then and there if Daisy hadn’t decided to sit in my lap at that exact moment.

     “Oomph,” I groaned as she shifted her weight.

     “Thanks for the comfy seat,” Daisy grinned, knowing fully what she was preventing me from doing.

      “You’re welcome babe,” I said frustrated.  “You could not eat as much,” I suggested.  “Maybe it’d be easier to sit like this…”

       She slapped me on the leg.  “Did you just call me fat?”

      “Never. I just thought that you could consider eating less…”

      “I’ll consider…” Daisy pretended to think for a minute.  “Okay.  I’m done considering.  I think I’ll keep eating the same amount of food that I always have been, and you can learn to complain less.”

       Kyle stood up and held his hand out to Daisy.  “Could I talk to you for a minute?” He asked.

      “No thank you,” she said leaning towards me.  “I’m not interested in hearing what you have to say.”

     Nicola took his hand in place of Daisy’s.  “I’ll go with you,” she said eagerly.

     It might have just been me, but I thought I saw a look of distaste flash through his features.

    Nicola and Kyle hadn’t returned during the rest of the night. I didn’t even want to know what was going on…

    “I’m going to go to bed,” I said. I kissed my family goodnight and headed upstairs.

     “Me too,” I heard Daisy say.

     She passed me on her way to the guest room.  “Night,” she said smiling.

     “Night.”  I said. 

……………………………………………………………………………………

     I woke up to a scream.  Fearing the worst, I jumped out of bed and rushed down the stairs.

     “Get off me,” Daisy said shoving Kyle away.

       “Oh, babe, it’s fine.”  He leant to kiss her and she slapped him.

       “I have a boyfriend,” she tried, sliding away from him.

       “Then where is he?” he asked.

       “Right here,” I said menacingly.