Do I Believe In Love?

~Liam’s POV~

     “Liam!” Layla yelled when I opened the door.

     “Hey Layla.  How are you?”

     “Fantastic, thanks. Can I meet Daisy?”

     “You must be Layla,” Daisy said as she gave the girl a hug.

     “You’re my role-model,” Layla gushed as she smiled at Daisy.

     “Well I’m lucky then.  Thank you.”  Daisy grinned at me, and I smiled back.

     “And you must be Layla’s sister?” I asked the fifteen year-old-girl who stood in front of me.

     “Jade.”

     “It’s nice to meet you Jade,” Daisy said warmly.

     Jade nodded curtly.  Daisy just shook it off and said, “So are you two okay if you go to the fair?”

     “Yes!” Layla exclaimed.

     “All right then,” I said.

     We got into the car and drove to the fairgrounds.  Daisy and Layla ran off to get cotton candy and I stayed with Jade.

     “Are you close with your sister?”

     “Kinda.”

     “Is everything okay?”

     Jade glared at me. “Just because you don’t have any problems doesn’t mean that you can gloat to others who do.”

      “I hope I wasn’t gloating.”

      She looked ashamed of her outburst. “I’m sorry I’m being ungrateful.”

      “You’re upset.  It’s understandable.  Do you want to talk about it?”

      “Do you believe in love?” Jade asked, her amber eyes boring into mine.

      “I think so,” I replied.

      “I don’t.”

      “Why not?  Sometimes you have to have your heart broken to discover that one person.”

      “Have you ever gotten your heart broken on your five-month anniversary?  Have you ever had someone tell you that you’re not good enough for him?  He told me that he loved me and then cast me aside like I was nothing.  That’s not something you do to someone you supposedly love.”

       “What’s his name?”

       “Luke.”

       “Then he’s the biggest idiot for letting you go.  And yes, I’ve had my heart broken on my one-year anniversary.”

       “How did it happen?”

       “I came back from a tour to surprise my girlfriend, and she was having sex with another guy.”

       “How long has it been?”

       I expected a precise number to be in my head but there wasn’t one.

       “I don’t know,” I said.

       “Do you think about her a lot?” Jade asked.

       “You know, I used to constantly wait for her phone call, and sometimes I still do, but eventually you just have to let them go.  If he wants you back, he’ll come to you.”