Fighting the Tide

~Liam’s POV~

    Mum had begun to make dinner.  The rest of my family was sitting in the kitchen, at the worn wooden table.

     Daisy went to help my mum with the food, and I just pulled out a chair.

     My dad motioned for me to follow him out onto the back porch.

     “So, who is this girl, and what did you pay her to come here?” He asked me.

     I looked at him, worried.  Did he know that she was a prostitute?  How could he have known that?  She didn’t do anything at all.

     “No one paid her anything,” I said firmly.  “I love her, she loves me, and that’s it.”

     “What about Kelly?  Or that other girl of yours… Danielle?  What happened to them?”

     “Dad,” I said annoyed.  “I’m with Daisy right now.  I’d like it if you were supportive.”

    “I’m being supportive,” he said.  “I’m supportive of you sending her back to where she came from.”

     “You know what?” I asked yelling, “Daisy is beautiful and perfect in every way possible.  She makes me happier than anybody ever has.  So pardon me if I don’t ‘send her back to where she came from,’ because I love her more than life itself.”  We were both surprised with my outburst.  Quickly, I walked back into the house before I got any angrier.  The screen door slammed behind my entrance, and I looked up to find the eyes of four women on me.

     “What was that about?” My mum asked carefully.

     “Nothing,” I said brusquely.  Ignoring the suspicious glances, I went to my room.

      I lay down on my bed.  After a little, I pulled the covers back and crawled, fully clothed, under the sheets.  I felt someone’s arms around me.  Their heart beat against my back as they pulled me close.

     I turned to face the person, and found Daisy lying on the other side of my bed.

    “What are you doing here?” I asked.

    “I know you well enough to know that the talk with your dad wasn’t “nothing,” and I thought you could use a friend.”

    “Thanks,” I said.

     We lay there, arms around each other, for some time. 

     I hadn’t meant to yell at my dad like that.  And the stuff I said wasn’t true, necessarily.  I loved Kelly more than life itself, and I knew that Daisy was just a friend.  Right now though, I needed a friend…  I guess Daisy had been right after all.

    “Liam! Daisy!  Dinner!”  My mum yelled.

    I slowly got up and shook off the urge to sleep.  Daisy followed me and we made our way to the dinner table.

    “I hope you’re hungry,” Ruth said laughing.  “It seems like mum’s made enough food for multiple families.”

     “I could eat as much as Niall,” I joked.

     My family laughed at the joke, and just Daisy smiled.  I kept forgetting that she didn’t pay attention to One Direction news.

     “This looks wonderful,” Daisy complimented.

     “It should,” my mum smiled.  “It took enough time.”

      We began to eat the lasagna.  The silence was filled with the clattering of forks and knives.  It was great for a while… until my dad decided to grill Daisy.