Look For the Girl With the Broken Smile

~Liam’s POV~

            I searched for her.  And then I saw red-brown hair.  She was standing in line to board her flight.  I ran up and yelled,

            “Daisy!”

            Her head turned toward me.

            “Daisy, you can’t leave,” I yelled.

            When I got nearer to her, I stopped sprinting.  “You can’t go,” I said to her.

            She just looked at me.  “What do you want Liam?”

            “You can’t get on that plane.”

            “Why not?”

            “Because I love you.”

            “You don’t know me.”

            “I don’t know you?” I asked.  “If I didn’t know you, then how come I know so much about you?  How come I know that you can’t stand cherries?  I know that you broke your leg in fourth grade, and that you are a writer.  Your favorite game is scrabble, your favorite color is green, you love root beer, and your favorite animal is a tiger because of its strength. 

“Your favorite movie is “Pride and Prejudice,” and your favorite book is North and South.  You only use bubblegum flavored toothpaste, and you could eat mint chip ice cream for every meal.  Jasmine from “Aladdin” is your favorite Disney princess.  You’d date Logan Lerman if you could because you think he is hot.  If you could have any car, it would be a bright red Ferrari.  Your favorite flower is a tulip, and you’d choose Coke over Pepsi.  “Torn” used to be your favorite song, but now it is “What I Know.”  Simple Plan is your favorite band, and your favorite Disney movie is “Mulan.”

“You came to a concert of mine because the girl that I thought I loved didn’t show up.  You have a sister named Cam, and you made a wish at the Trevi Fountain.  In the middle of the night, you came with me to Rome.  You called me at two in the morning just to be sure that I’d pick up.  You asked me to sing you to sleep because it was relaxing.  My father has never liked any of my other girlfriends until you.  My mother considers you another daughter.  My sisters ask about you all the time.  My friends love you.  You are one of the strongest people that I know.  But you still cried because I said things that hurt you. 

“Even though I’m hard to deal with, you still came to the plane to say goodbye to me… in your pajamas, no less.  You still helped me pick up the pieces of my heart.  I know everything I need to know about you.  I know that you can’t talk about your past, and you won’t tell me your favorite childhood memories.  I know enough about you to love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone.”

            Her eyes shone.  “You don’t love me,” she said.

            “Yes I do.”

            “You can’t love me.”

            “But I do.”

            “Let me go, Liam.”

            “Never.”

            I gripped her hands in mine.

            “If you love me and you know what’s best, you’ll walk away.”

            “I can’t.  Because I know that the only person who matters to me is standing right here.”

            “Liam,” she whispered.  “I have to go.”

            My hold tightened on her hands.  “Don’t leave.  I never meant anything I said about you.  You’re the best thing that’s ever happened to me.  You think that I changed you.  In reality, you made me different.  You helped me to actually live my life.  I can’t imagine being without you.”

            “I’m sorry,” she whispered.

            “At the Trevi Fountain, you made a wish, right?”

            “Yes.”

            “I made one too.  I just didn’t realize until now that you were in it.”

            She started to cry.  “I need to go.  You’re an international sensation.  Having me in your life would ruin your reputation.”

            “I don’t care,” I said.

            “But I do.”

            And then she kissed me gently on the cheek.  When she turned around right before boarding, I thought I saw her wave.

            I started to sob.  They were ones that shook my body and chilled me to the bone.  I thought she’d come back with me.  I thought that after all of that she would love me too.  The only thing she did was leave.  When my phone rang, I answered it numbly.

            “Hi mum,” I mumbled.

            “What happened Li?”

            “I went after her, and she left.”

            “Who, honey?”

            “Daisy. I said some horrible things.  But then I apologized…  Isn’t that enough?  I told her that I loved her, and she left.”

            “Oh, Liam.  It’ll be okay.”

            “What is this numb feeling inside, mum?”

            “It’s the feeling of a broken heart.”

            “I never did realize what I had until she left.”

            “She’ll be back for you.”

            “I have to go,” I whispered.  “I’ll call you later.”

            Daisy went to Los Angeles.  The next flight there was tomorrow morning and I knew that I’d be on it. 

See, there was a slight problem.  That blue-eyed girl had a piece of my heart and I wouldn’t be complete until she came back to me, or until I found her.  I’d look for her…  I’d always look for the girl who changed me.  I’d always look for the red-brown haired, blue-eyed, beautiful girl I’d fallen in love with.  She had waved at me just before boarding the plane.  She had waved.